thinking of buying a COOL BLUE Ryedale Penny Sorter

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Merc,

There isn't a great market for copper cents right now, it's definitely a buyers market. I've sold copper cents on Ebay, coin forums like this one, Craigslist, and at local coin shops. The price varies a lot between 1.1-1.9 x face value. Yes, I have seen people selling copper cents for just 1.1 x face. The average buying price is between 1.3-1.4 x face (shipped or delivered).

~JobIII

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Last time I sold some culled out copper ($700 worth) I got 1.65 including shipping... not worth it to me if I can't get at least that...

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty good, better than anything I was getting even through occasional Ebay sales. My first thought would be to try and see if that contact would want more copper. I've had luck checking in with buyers to see if they wanted more. Even if it takes a while to make the sale, you're doing really well to get 1.5 or better. Have you tried Ebay yet?

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty good, better than anything I was getting even through occasional Ebay sales. My first thought would be to try and see if that contact would want more copper. I've had luck checking in with buyers to see if they wanted more. Even if it takes a while to make the sale, you're doing really well to get 1.5 or better. Have you tried Ebay yet?

That's where I got that price, granted after fees it was a bit lower. I sold it all during a 2 day period when copper jumped a bit something like a year and a half ago.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate how bad of a bite the fees from ebay/paypal are.

$700 in copper cents. Sold/shipped at 1.65 x Face so the auction would end showing something like this $1085 + $70 (S/h). Then Ebay takes $100, paypal $34, shipping $70. And the total is now $951 or 1.36 x Face.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorting $700 in copper cents by hand is no small task. :icon_thumright:

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MoneyBags said:
one question I have though is it can do like 10-15k pennies per hour, so what are the best ways to get like 50,000-100,000 pennies weekly without pissing off the banks?

Probably need to hit multiple banks for that. Also that's a lot of zinc to dump. I've got about $300 face from hand sorting. I started with cents picking up 4 to 6 boxes per week but I'm down to one box per week because I'm just going to sit on the Cu and I figure over time I'll have as much as I really want to deal with. Also I'm more into the Ag now. Are you selling your Cu or sitting on it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread