Found my 1st ever British Sixpence!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2012-07-16 11.13.51.jpg
    2012-07-16 11.13.51.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 2012-07-16 11.13.27.jpg
    2012-07-16 11.13.27.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is from Australia. I cherry pick silver when I go to coin shows and shops and have quite a few of these. Nice find!

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of the time you can find foreign silver for under melt when you go through either a dollar bin or just the foreign coins in the two by twos. I've found that either the dealer doesn't go through and change prices to reflect the fluctuation in silver prices or the dealer doesn't know what they have.
Where this is going is that about two years ago I bought a bunch of Australian silver for under melt doing this and some of the coins I picked up were Australian sixpence.

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I stand corrected. The coin has very tiny letters that read..."Advance Australia". It is 92.5% silver. YIPPY! I got a good old foreign silver coin. Thanks everyone for you research & help. That's one real good thing about this forum.

Now I'm on to searching the next box of cents. FYI, I'm averaging 21 Wheaties per box. My oldest Wheat is 1909 plain. It makes sense to search cents.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, an aussie, SWEET SCORE! silver in a penny roll? you can't beat it... congrats on a nice find...
my oldest foreign coin found in coin rolls happened to be an australian copper "ONE PENNY" in a half dollar roll dated 1923, a cool coin too... congrats.
HH
Buff

also, i'd go back and get more of that source :)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Jersey! :icon_thumleft: I found an Australian six pence dated 1945 in a cent roll awhile back too. Yours is in nicer condition. Amazing what you can find searching rolls of cents!!

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, there was 14 Wheaties in that box where I found the 1926 Sixpence. And it was a Brinks box dated 4\18\12. Man I miss those great boxes.Anyway, after talking to a Teller at BOA, I found out more info about what's going on with Brinks. She said their contract with Brinks expired & its the decision from the corporate office who chose to go with a contract with Garda. The reason is because Garda is more reliable, dependable & provide better service than Brinks. Plus coins spill out of the plastic rolls. Brinks is often not on time, a day late, etc. So that's why a lot of banks are switching over to Garda. That's what I'm told is happening. Thought I would keep u informed.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, there was 14 Wheaties in that box where I found the 1926 Sixpence. And it was a Brinks box dated 4\18\12. Man I miss those great boxes.Anyway, after talking to a Teller at BOA, I found out more info about what's going on with Brinks. She said their contract with Brinks expired & its the decision from the corporate office who chose to go with a contract with Garda. The reason is because Garda is more reliable, dependable & provide better service than Brinks. Plus coins spill out of the plastic rolls. Brinks is often not on time, a day late, etc. So that's why a lot of banks are switching over to Garda. That's what I'm told is happening. Thought I would keep u informed.

I heard the same thing from my BoA branch, although they switched from Dunbar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread