Stop making coins.

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
Wonder what would happen if the government decided to not make coins for a year or 2.....

Surely the supply out there isn't getting that damaged to cause a shortage...

Might save the government money..

Just some thoughts I had while reading about other CRHers running into a surplus of 2012 coins.

Any thoughts???

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They WILL STOP making coins, and it won't be long. Canada will stop making cents next year. Some countries already are countless (Sweden, I believe???) if you don't have a Ryedale & aren't hoarding cents, better start, or you will miss the boat.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a difference, the actual government makes coins, and the Federal Reserve makes bills. When new coins are made, it's supposed to be at a rate where old coinage is getting damaged or lost.. Damaged pieces do in-fact get culled out of circulation.

I don't think we have an over-abundance of coin, but can't say the same for paper!

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They WILL STOP making coins, and it won't be long. Canada will stop making cents next year. Some countries already are countless (Sweden, I believe???) if you don't have a Ryedale & aren't hoarding cents, better start, or you will miss the boat.
They made the last penny back in April, starting in the fall every penny a bank gets is
Going to be sent back for destruction.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Copper prices are already at high enough prices to allow the free market to melt copper cents and make a profit. Unfortunately the government has banned the export of cents and the domestic melting of them.

With the exception of the small dollars, the nickel, and the cent, the US government makes a healthy profit on coins. For example, a quarter has less than 5 cents worth of metal, if we assume that the production cost for a quarter is 3 cents, that means the government makes 17 cents on every quarter they make.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still don't know why there is halfs anyway; Use less we are the only nuts that want them right?? And ikes?? Why are there ikes who wants them?? no one 2 dollar bills??? again why

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lolz, when does the government stop making pennies, i cant wait, finally melt the copper pennies i have been saving for 6 years (im 15)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I still don't know why there is halfs anyway; Use less we are the only nuts that want them right?? And ikes?? Why are there ikes who wants them?? no one 2 dollar bills??? again why

Ikes are no longer made, but no one wants the small dollars either.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
The US Mint makes coins for circulation and sells them at face value to the FED RESERVE to be sold to the banks. Currently the Mint only produces 4 coins for general circulation, penny, nickel, dime and quarter. The penny and the nickel are losers and the dime and quarter are winners in terms of profits for the Mint. Overall the Mint makes a profit for the US Treasury even when you only consider the circulation coin business. In addition the Mint makes proof and mint sets, commeratives, bullion coins and NIFCs that are sold well above face value.
The overall profit on circulating coins is low because of the rising costs of production and the absence of higher value coins ($1/2, $1, $2) that would bring a greater profit.
If the US Gov't stopped making $1 bills and thus there was a demand for dollar coins the profits for the Mint would be in the hundreds of millions.

Therefore my solution to help boost the profitability of the US Mint:

Stop making pennies for general distribution, only include them in mint and proof sets. Cash transactions will be round to the nearist 5 cents
Change the nickel, dime and quarter to nickel plated steel
Stop making $1 and $2 bills
Introduce a $2 coin

Not that the Govt is in the mood for descive action

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIhunter said:
The US Mint makes coins for circulation and sells them at face value to the FED RESERVE to be sold to the banks. Currently the Mint only produces 4 coins for general circulation, penny, nickel, dime and quarter. The penny and the nickel are losers and the dime and quarter are winners in terms of profits for the Mint. Overall the Mint makes a profit for the US Treasury even when you only consider the circulation coin business. In addition the Mint makes proof and mint sets, commeratives, bullion coins and NIFCs that are sold well above face value.
The overall profit on circulating coins is low because of the rising costs of production and the absence of higher value coins ($1/2, $1, $2) that would bring a greater profit.
If the US Gov't stopped making $1 bills and thus there was a demand for dollar coins the profits for the Mint would be in the hundreds of millions.

Therefore my solution to help boost the profitability of the US Mint:

Stop making pennies for general distribution, only include them in mint and proof sets. Cash transactions will be round to the nearist 5 cents
Change the nickel, dime and quarter to nickel plated steel
Stop making $1 and $2 bills
Introduce a $2 coin

Not that the Govt is in the mood for descive action

Government agencies aren't in the business of making money, even when "making money." At least not under this administration. If he could, Obama would bring back the half cent, and he'd make it of pure copper. Then he would create an agency to regulate them and another to make sure we wouldn't hoard them. I'm hoping when Romney is elected, he will abolish the cent & lift the melt ban (maybe in his second term so I can save up more!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread