First box of halves 9 oz. silver

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in California two weeks ago and picked up my first box of Kennedy halves at Chase bank and found (15) 90% silver coins (14 from 1964 and 1 Franklin from 1963) and (24) 40% silver coins from 1965-1970.

View attachment 657591

I picked up $190 in rolled coins from another branch that day and found 3 more 90% halves (all Franklins) and (7) 40% halves. The next week I did $2000 and found only (1) 40% half, which was disappointing considering how it started out.

I am back in Florida now and haven't found a bank that will order halves for me. Even the local Chase branch won't, while it was no problem for the ones in Calif.

I usually do pennies, but this was a fun break. Any idea why there were so many in the first box? All the rolls were machine-wrapped just like the later boxes.

Upvote 0

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Could've been a collection you stumbled upon. Luck of the draw. Where at in Florida are you?

OP
OP
T

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daytona Beach, was in Union City in California (bay area about 35 miles from San Francisco). I only tried TD, Regions, and Chase so far here. I still could try Bank of America, SunTrust, BB&T, and local banks. I don't have an account with Wells Fargo since they require such a high minimum balance for students.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Nice beginners luck first box, hate to break it to you but mostly boxes here in Fl are like your second week and not the first, at least for me anyway. That was a great box in terms of the 90%'s that you got, I'm lucky to find more than one at a time in any of my boxes but you never know what each box will bring or when you will get lucky again. Too many people with too much time on their hands is what I find in Fl. I'm on the West Coast and I have gotten boxes of halves from Sun Trust (brinks) and BOA (was brinks changed to Garda), and Regions (Garda). I have gotten boxes of dimes from Chase but didn't have a account so I didn't try for halves. Some branches of the same banks will order them for you and some branches won't, make sure you are talking to the Vault Teller when you are asking them about if they can order them and just because one BOA tells you no does not mean that the next BOA branch will also say no. Just try them all in your area and I'm sure you will find some that are willing to help you. It also helps if you go slow, tell them you are a collector working on a collection or a book, and try to get them to want to help you. I always tell them how happy I was to find anything and most people enjoy knowing that they have made someone else happy, adds a little joy to there day. Good luck to you, hope you find one.

Last edited:

albert

Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicee. When I tried my first box, I got skunked. Now I'm doing pennies until next month when I get my td bank account, I'll do 1500 every week or two and dump at td fee free

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for future reference, TD Bank CANNOT order half dollars, it's not that they are too lazy to, the computer just won't allow them to...

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicee. When I tried my first box, I got skunked. Now I'm doing pennies until next month when I get my td bank account, I'll do 1500 every week or two and dump at td fee free

I dunno about TD in your area but in ours it is difficult to dump high volume (or any volume) at TD because they have to keep changing out the bags so frequently. Most bags only hold $100 with the exception of dimes & quarters which I believe holds $500. So halves are basically out of the question to dump at TD around here. It really pisses them off to keep coming over every few minutes to change the bag

OP
OP
T

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno about TD in your area but in ours it is difficult to dump high volume (or any volume) at TD because they have to keep changing out the bags so frequently. Most bags only hold $100 with the exception of dimes & quarters which I believe holds $500. So halves are basically out of the question to dump at TD around here. It really pisses them off to keep coming over every few minutes to change the bag

In my area the TD banks have slow Magner coin counters that use 4 bags and mix denominations, so the tellers only have the change the bags every hour when the bags fill up (about $46 in pennies each). They are fine for halves but annoyingly slow for pennies. The branches about 25 miles away (New Smyrna Beach and Edgewater) have faster machines with the "Penny" character that looks like Wendy from Wendy's and use separate bags for each denomination (2 for pennies at $50 each). I usually deposit coins there since the machine can do over $1000 an hour. Usually the teller just pulls the machine out so she can change the bags every few minutes. I haven't done more than $700 at a time, though. The tellers are pretty nice about it but I can see it becoming a problem if I did it every week. I also use Coinstar for Lowe's or Amazon gift cards sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread