Found 1869, 1886, and 1903 Indian head cents

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 660456

I found three Indian head pennies yesterday: 1869, 1886, and 1903. Unfortunately the 1869 and 1886 cents are badly corroded, but the dates are still readable.

The 1869 and 1903 pennies were found by running my Ryedale for a second pass over the rejects from 50 boxes of pennies with a 2005 zinc penny in the comparator and the sensitivity turned about 100 degrees to the right. It's probably not worth the time and wear on the machine. I found a lot of older wheats (did not keep count) and removed many steel Canadian pennies, mutilated and corroded pennies, some foreign coins, and five dimes from the batch as well.

I saw the 1886 penny in the tub while unwrapping rolls.

Boxes were from Brinks, Garda, and Loomis in the Central Fla. region.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, i was shocked to find out about this trick. Without the double sort you throw away the best finds with the zincolas..

OP
OP
T

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, i was shocked to find out about this trick. Without the double sort you throw away the best finds with the zincolas..

Yeah, I've been thinking of just doing the zinc sort first, since whatever is accepted with the sensitivity turned up is almost certainly not worth resorting. Then I could just sort the 20% on the reject side again for copper and the 1941 and earlier pennies with tin should get rejected.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have to say those IH's were dug. I've released dozens that I've dug, that were heavily corroded. Cool finds.

OP
OP
T

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, I just got a metal detector but haven't used it much yet. Walked around with it but didn't want to start digging on peoples right-of-ways.

I might throw an Indian Head penny in with my copper trade units on Ebay since they aren't selling very well now... prices are going down. Someone is selling them for $166 shipped.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the coins look dug. Either way, nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread