Gonna give this a shot...

Guam

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I am a total noob to CRH, but not new to treasure hunting. I am into metal detecting, but my detector is down for warranty repairs, so I thought I would give this a shot to kill some time and maybe I will like it.

I'm wondering where I should start? I'm on Guam and might have a difficult time even getting boxes of halves and other coins. We do have a population of 175,000 and a lot of banks, so hopefully not too hard. Should I start will rolls of halves. That seems like it would yield the most silver as far as weight. Were can I find a reference to determine which coins are 90%, 40%, key dates, semi-key dates, etc. I guess there is a learning curve to everything. Any tips would be appreciated as I am totally new to this.

GL & HH

Guam

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Guam

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay...I'm finding lots of good information! I need to just keep reading. I think I will start with trying to order a box of halves (with confidence lol). HH

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
You can find a ton of good info here. With halves, silver is 1970 and before (90% 1964 and before, 40% 1965-1970). Not intended for circulation halves are 1987 and 2002 and later, although these bring little if any premium to face value and many people just throw them back. Also look out for proofs, which are typically designated with the "S" mint mark.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get boxes of halves in Guam or not. If you can't get halves, I would search dimes as they are usually the next best coin for silver. Dimes from 1964 and before are 90% silver, and there are no 40% silvers.

Happy hunting!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a tip to you: you are going to order a box of half dollars... ordering is the EASY part, dumping is the HARD part... so once you're done with the skunky half dollar box, how do you plan to get rid of $500 (1,000) half dollar coins?

keep that in mind,
hh
buff

OP
OP
G

Guam

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a member of a credit union that has a coin counting machine. Sort of like coin star, except there is no fee if your a member. Just punch in your account number, add coins slowly and it's all credited to your account. I guess the big question becomes...does the coin machine accept halves? Thanks for the precautionary tip on dumping. I can imagine banks aren't too happy with dumping...

vetarun

Jan 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially if its the same bank you picked them up from. You might be in a silver vein for sure there in Guam

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hafa adai! Welcome aboard the good ship CRH!

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I'm a member of a credit union that has a coin counting machine. Sort of like coin star, except there is no fee if your a member. Just punch in your account number, add coins slowly and it's all credited to your account. I guess the big question becomes...does the coin machine accept halves? Thanks for the precautionary tip on dumping. I can imagine banks aren't too happy with dumping...

You probably should ask. One bank around here has signs on all of their coin counters that say no halves or dollar coins, but it is because they were breaking the machines not because the machines aren't set up to take them. I also seem to remember that the Coinstar-branded machines don't take halves or dollars, but I don't remember for sure.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guam uses US currency? Or is it like pesos and dollars by the border?

Navyguy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2012
Chicago
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just left Guam last year. I assume you're using NFCU? This is what I did. Join pentagon credit union on Andersen and use the two of them. Getting halves there is hard but it can be done. Many locals wrap coins and drop them at local banks so finding silver is very easy and frequent out in town. If your on the AFB let me know, I may have a squadron that has a retail store in it that will sell you all their change.

Later,

Troy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions