NON-BANK sources of coinage. Liquor stores, smoke shops, party stores, etc.

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most fun place i hunted was a self serve car wash place.. I had the itch i had to scratch and put about a 100 dollars in the quarter change machine. LOL. I found many 1965's which mean it was possible to get silver. but we all know AG quarters are hard to find. It still was fun to fill a bucket at night with quarters from a car wash and never wash your car.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea ! I bet the owner of that car wash was scratching his head when he found out the change machine was empty.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I love this concept. Last weekend I saw a particularly shiny dime in the tray at a local orchard. I traded for the dime I got in change. "What year is it?" "Oh, 1954, yea, I collect dimes. Can i trade you this one for it?" I got a nice war nickel in change from AC Moore a couple months back, too.

I would start asking all the gas stations about halves. This can lead into "do you ever find interesting coins?" and "do you have any today...can I buy them off of you for cash/if you save the next bunch for me?" I have bought silver for at most 50% melt $ twice from one guy this month, and he is saving the coins for me from now on.

Guy at the local package store says he finds halves, but I havent gotten silver from him yet. I would have to start drinking because I never go in really. That is another resource.

Maybe laundromats. I have found one silver quarter in a car wash coin machine. Always check any coinstar you go bye. You can buy a roll out of most teller trays at stores. I saw a thread about someone finding a pile of silvers in a old diner(?) or bowling alley (?) jukebox. something like that on Tnet about a month ago.

Happy hunting. - Jonathan

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most fun place i hunted was a self serve car wash place.. I had the itch i had to scratch and put about a 100 dollars in the quarter change machine. LOL. I found many 1965's which mean it was possible to get silver. but we all know AG quarters are hard to find. It still was fun to fill a bucket at night with quarters from a car wash and never wash your car.

As someone that knew a guy who owned a SSCW this is a good way to get on the wrong side of a baseball bat if you get caught. The machine doesn't hold all that much so if you take thier change without business you
re impacting customers that want to spend money there but can't.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my best finds have been from party stores. They can be rough places but the rougher the better for finding a stolen collection. A lot of the owners in my area are more than happy to give you their "reject" coin box to look through. That is any coin that is larger than a quarter.

Use your imagination on that.

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone that knew a guy who owned a SSCW this is a good way to get on the wrong side of a baseball bat if you get caught. The machine doesn't hold all that much so if you take thier change without business you

If any1 came at me with a bat for any reason very bad things might happen to them. I don't think the owner of any car wash thinks some quarters is worth more than his life!!! Anyways who would bat a eye at anyone using the change machine to get change lol.. That's what it is there for. Go ahead and flame me for it I don't care it was fun at the time and he got fair money for his change and I figure sometimes that's the cost of having that type of business.

Last edited:

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scored a '62 Roosevelt from one of those "take a penny, leave a penny" trays at my work cafeteria.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL, felony assault, thats what that would be...and in TX, best not to bring a baseball bat to what likely would end up as a gunfight. It would be a justified shooting too, if the owner of the car wash came at the coin seeker with a bat.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Around here the liquor stores and convenience stores are the ones that know about silver and are quick to snipe it. They say they get people who have paid with (crisp) silver certificates, silver eagles, silver halves, dollars, etc.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of my best finds have been from party stores. They can be rough places but the rougher the better for finding a stolen collection. A lot of the owners in my area are more than happy to give you their "reject" coin box to look through. That is any coin that is larger than a quarter.

Use your imagination on that.

What is a "party store?"

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any1 came at me with a bat for any reason very bad things might happen to them. I don't think the owner of any car wash thinks some quarters is worth more than his life!!! Anyways who would bat a eye at anyone using the change machine to get change lol.. That's what it is there for. Go ahead and flame me for it I don't care it was fun at the time and he got fair money for his change and I figure sometimes that's the cost of having that type of business.

Lets not get into a pissing match here. You're on thier property intentionally disabling thier abilty to do business. Good luck getting a "no bill" for shooting an business owner on his own property defending his right to do business. Even so you're looking at 5k in lawyer fees and likely answering to your maker in the long run. For what? The chance for a very rare $5 quarter? Theres easier ways to get rolls to check.

And btw cowboy remember you're not the only one checking rolls before they go into change machines.. or with a CCW permit.

Last edited:

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
What is a "party store?"

A "Party Store" is like a 7-11. Usually privately owned, they sell liquor, beer chips etc... Party Supplies.

There is a gas station near me on 8 mile that sells cheap gas. It is on the border of Detroit and a lot of people pay for gas with change. I would often see 5 to 10 rolls of dimes on there counter. I asked them if I could by them and they said sure. It saves them from having to bring it into the bank. I have scored a few silver dimes, war nickles and 1 buffalo. I try to buy all my gas there. I even bring them back the used wrappers. I am waiting to make a big score when someone pays for their gas with a collection.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generic_Lad said:
Around here the liquor stores and convenience stores are the ones that know about silver and are quick to snipe it. They say they get people who have paid with (crisp) silver certificates, silver eagles, silver halves, dollars, etc.

There is one owner here that I know for sure is savvy. I asked for halves with my six pack and he pulled a WAD of silver certificates and red seals from his wallet and tried to sell them but he wouldn't take any offers. They weren't in great shape so I didn't offer much. One of them was 5 and another a 10 but I wasn't about to drop more for them.

Last edited:

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
I will go to grocery stores and ask for $100 to $150 in rolled dimes. Usually Loomis. Have had great luck with this. Bought $65 worth two days ago and scored two merc and a rosie out of that. Sometimes they will not be able to sell as much as I would like so I just take what they will part with. Never know>

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will go to grocery stores and ask for $100 to $150 in rolled dimes. Usually Loomis. Have had great luck with this. Bought $65 worth two days ago and scored two merc and a rosie out of that. Sometimes they will not be able to sell as much as I would like so I just take what they will part with. Never know>

Do you just ask the manager, or cashier, or go to the customer service desk?

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
My second favorite place besides a bank to CRH, is a mall. I just have a back pack and go to ever store asking for 1-5 rolls of dimes. They can be very productive

I never tried a mall - but in every store i go, i ask for 1-5 rolls of dimes

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
I have NEVER heard a convenience store called a "party store". I was totally picturing going into my local Party City or something of that sort that literally specializes in party decorations, ect, & asking for coins.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I have NEVER heard a convenience store called a "party store". I was totally picturing going into my local Party City or something of that sort that literally specializes in party decorations, ect, & asking for coins.

Same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread