CWR vs MWR Halves

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems like a lot of coin roll hunters get great finds with customer wrapped rolls. But it also seems that finds are more consistent with boxes or machine wrapped rolls. What have been your experiences? My only results have been from CWR but it's hard finding a bank with these let alone finding a bank with halves at all. And no banks will order them for me. Sorry if this question has already been asked. I'm still figuring the whole website out.

Also I'm new to the site and coin roll hunting. My finds have been minimal, but I did score a CWR with 3 90%s and 11 40%s which gave me the urge to find more.

Upvote 0

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
There are pros & cons to both CWR & MWR. With both you are depending on someone to have unknowingly dumped what you are looking for back into the system. CWR you just happen to pick up before it gets added in with all the other coin to be ran through the machine & turned into MWR. Sometimes we do better with one over the other & the next week it might be the opposite. It's all about being in the right place at the right time, in my opinion. Also, with CWR you are more likely to get something that isn't supposed to be in there (hair, slugs, other denominations of coins) but you are more likely to pick up an entire collection. We do both whenever we can. It's all about volume & doing as much as you can as often as you can. Hope that wasn't too much information at once & that it makes sense.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There are pros & cons to both CWR & MWR. With both you are depending on someone to have unknowingly dumped what you are looking for back into the system. CWR you just happen to pick up before it gets added in with all the other coin to be ran through the machine & turned into MWR. Sometimes we do better with one over the other & the next week it might be the opposite. It's all about being in the right place at the right time, in my opinion. Also, with CWR you are more likely to get something that isn't supposed to be in there (hair, slugs, other denominations of coins) but you are more likely to pick up an entire collection. We do both whenever we can. It's all about volume & doing as much as you can as often as you can. Hope that wasn't too much information at once & that it makes sense.

+1, pretty much it. I started doing alot of CWR's, I still do, and at first found more doing those than ordering 2 boxes a week.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like a lot of coin roll hunters get great finds with customer wrapped rolls. But it also seems that finds are more consistent with boxes or machine wrapped rolls. What have been your experiences? My only results have been from CWR but it's hard finding a bank with these let alone finding a bank with halves at all. And no banks will order them for me. Sorry if this question has already been asked. I'm still figuring the whole website out.

Also I'm new to the site and coin roll hunting. My finds have been minimal, but I did score a CWR with 3 90%s and 11 40%s which gave me the urge to find more.
Oh is that all,that gave you the urge? That roll is almost as much as my month! I got the "urge" just from reading the website.....

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the area, all the CWR I have found around here have been dumps. I did find a 1964 half last week that looks like a truck ran over it. MWR has yielded more silver.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
For me CWRs are where it's at. I only do 1 box of halves a week. I've only found 1x 90%er and 2x 40%ers. I've found everything else in CWRs. So far I've ran into two collection dumps.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi southpaw. Welcome to tnet. I see you have already got a lot of good advise. I was also unable to get boxes of halves but recently found a bank to order for me. Been through 8 boxes, all skunk. I've done pretty well with cwr and loose halves but it's hit and miss when I can get them. I would say keep at the cwr and keep looking for a bank to order for you. Good luck and HH.
Merc

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
2 CWR's I found last week in 1 bank. Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That made me sick to watch, lol. I would have driven straight home after the 2nd roll. Maverick.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Statistically, per roll, I have found THREE TIMES more silver in CWRs vs rolls from boxes. It's all being in the right place (or buying the right box) at the right time though. And you increase your odds by increasing your volume. 4 of my 5 biggest scores have been CWR finds. Dream boxes don't come around too often.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!! I didn't think I would receive such a response! I do take either one available if I'm at the bank. The only time I will not take halves is when they are in mwr but are folded in like a cwr. Then I know they are someone's dumps. I guess the only thing I worry about with cwr is being shorted.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! I didn't think I would receive such a response! I do take either one available if I'm at the bank. The only time I will not take halves is when they are in mwr but are folded in like a cwr. Then I know they are someone's dumps. I guess the only thing I worry about with cwr is being shorted.
You'll be short a little now and then, the cost of finding AG I guess, but the value of your finds should more then make up for it. I have been shorted more on sealed mwr boxes then cwr, have had two boxes missing a roll each, a $10 hit on each, oh well, didn't let it bother me too much, just dove in and pulled out silver.

HH

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest problem with CWR I find is a consistent supply. You never know when someone will drop off their halves or where they will be dropped off. Halves are not exactly floating around in everyone pockets.

Now you can pick up a box of halves from the bank regularly but CWR there is no schedule for those. Yes my highest percentage was from some CWR but you can ask at 5 banks and just come up with 20 or less loose clad halves.

Unfortunately, happens to me more times than not

Last edited:

gordon5jeff

Jan 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been CRH for about 4 months and I have gotten 22 40% and 2 90%(1 walker and 1 64 Kennedy). Most of them have been loose. Not rolled at all. I recently tried a box of dimes and quarters(MWR). I got one 1947 quarter and 1 1957 dime. Is one out of a box beating the odds or about right?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been CRH for about 4 months and I have gotten 22 40% and 2 90%(1 walker and 1 64 Kennedy). Most of them have been loose. Not rolled at all. I recently tried a box of dimes and quarters(MWR). I got one 1947 quarter and 1 1957 dime. Is one out of a box beating the odds or about right?

I'd say your beating the odds on Quarters and below a little on the Dimes. Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread