Just a little over a month in the game, and I hit the jackpot! (with story and pics)

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, how would you react when you see something like this?:
9TpSMh.jpg
I went to one of the many banks in my home area the other day requesting a box of dimes. This was the first time I had requested so much coin from them, and they told me they would call me the following week to let me know when the box had arrived. They did call me Tuesday to let me know the box had arrived. I told them I would not be able to swing by until the following day, but that quickly changed when my plans after work changed, leaving me going near that bank the same day after all. Good thing I did! I arrive at the bank and the tellers were closing out their drawers as they were closing the bank. They saw me, and got the box out, but I had also asked if they had come across any customer rolled coins that day. One teller said "yes, we have some very old customer rolled dimes, and some quarters, how many were you looking for?" And of course, what would I or any sane CRHer say?..
A) Nevermind, please give me my box of dimes, and I will be on my way
B) I will just have one roll of customer rolled dimes, and then I will take the box
C) Just a few rolls
D) How many do you have?
If you don't know the right answer to this question, then welcome to coin roll hunting!
I took all of those coins. All of them! And I'm glad I did; CRHing brethren, because out of $400 face ($300CWR Dimes, $100CWR Quarters) this is what I pulled!:
zk20gh.jpg 9S0M0h.jpg 6lKCeh.jpg KSfjjh.jpg tkFB7h.jpg mPJtMh.jpg

When all was said and done, I had to line up all the dimes and quarters into a row on my coffee table
TYadTh.jpg

So here is the run-down on what I found (All stacks are 10 coins each):
qncGQ.jpg
600 silver dimes, 157 silver quarters, 1 priceless memory (without visa to thank)
LieOB.jpg
534 Roosevelt dimes, 65 Mercury dimes, 1 Canadian Rex dime, 154 Washington quarters, 2 standing quarters, 1 Barber quarter (1910)
$99.25 face value in silver coins.

Now, the question is, where do I go from here? Can I have some advise from others on here whom have hit the jackpot? Please help your lucky weasel in need! I guess I will just keep hunting and hoping for another amazing find! Happy hunting, and wishing all of you guys your very own finds of a lifetime!

Upvote 0

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, how would you react when you see something like this?

OMG Go die you suck! :p Serious congrats, thats a treasure chest of goodies there. I think I know what happened. Its what in the gun business is called "tombraiding". The daddy is a good ol boy that knew what to buy/save etc be it guns, coins, tools, cars, etc. He dies, so the worthless son or son-in-law guts his loot as sells it either at face value or pennies on the dollar. its a same cause you know whoever rolled those knew what they were , probably did it mid 60s or not much later. Its a shame but good it feel into good hands.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I would never sell, no. I won't stop searching rolls for a long time. I just keep stacking and putting those babies in my SDB. I guess my question was more along the lines of "has lighting ever struck twice for any of my fellow coin roll hunters?" regarding finding a big score like this.

I've had a few of what I would call "really good" scores (100+ 40%ers, or the equivalent), but only the 1 truly big score...so far. We were lucky. Most CRHers will never hit a truly big one. It might happen again (even multiple times), but being that the odds were heavily against it ever happening in the first place, it isn't likely to happen again. But, there are and will be big scores out there that will happen. Might as well me to one of us! :icon_thumright:

As for never selling, you might want to think about that one. Take someone that had a stash of silver in 1980 when the price jumped to about $50/oz. - which would be about $130 in "today's" dollars. Those people would absolutely have been better off selling all they had then as silver may not reach that level again in their lifetime. At any rate they could have bought all they sold back a short while later for ~$4/oz. That same scenario very well could happen again in the near future. Figuring out exactly when that perfect time to sell is the tricky part. :tongue3: Market prices do not necessarily go up over time. Just ask any of us who have closets full of baseball cards and comic books from the early/mid 1980's. We missed our opportunity to sell many years ago and there likely will be no opportunities to do so down the road.

Just something to think about...

Deep Packets

Dec 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The great thing about CRH is that you could get a bigger score tomorrow, there is no formula at all. I know it's not likely, but one thing is certain. We don't find if we don't search.

tham2005

Greenie
Apr 3, 2012
sioux falls sd
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, what an amazing find! Im super jealous, in a good way. congrats! I was happy with my 5 40%s today lol...nothing compared to a find like that..

Squid

Sep 4, 2012
SoCal
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000/d
Primary Interest:
Other
SWEET JESUS!
You sir are one lucky man.
Ty

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As per request for key dates for this find, here are the mercuries:
xwr9E.jpg
1917, 1918, 1918...
kd5cHh.jpg
1923, 1925, 1926,1929...
ywiBlh.jpg
the row starting from the left is 1935 and goes year by year all the way to 1945 on the right

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Where do you go from here?

Just quit now.

The best score I ever had was one single solid roll. It just goes downhill from there.

Congrats on your find. It truly is a find of a lifetime.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where do you go from here?

Just quit now.

The best score I ever had was one single solid roll. It just goes downhill from there.

Congrats on your find. It truly is a find of a lifetime.

Thanks. Nah, I'm not quitting. I am still going and found another solid roll from the same bank, so I will just keep it up as long as I can and see where it takes me. I feel like it might not necessarily be the find of a lifetime, since I might have hit a major silver vein in my area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread