Coin Roll Hunting while I was in Annual Coin Convention Center and my deals.

Gingymann

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to an annual coin convention, and was in shock. You will not believe the amount of money those greedy *******s were asking for their junk silver. I noticed that halves and big dollars were the most overpriced stuff they had. The cheapest half dollar was $20 and it was in the worst condition you could imagine. I saw junk silver being sold from $20 all the way up to $225. It was ridiculous. Oh, and the morgans were insanely priced. In fact, I even saw a merchant selling two knock-offs morgans. He must have seen that I frowned upon them as soon as I saw them, because he immediately told me that they were fakes, and that he was only selling those for the people that could not afford the real deal. Hmmm, I was suspicious and distrusted that seller because the morgans were NOT identified as copy or fakes. An inexperienced buyer had no way of knowing, unless the seller told them verbally that hey were indeed fake. But as the saying goes, there is a stupid person born every minute. I must admit that I saw an older lady (around 58) making a $1,000 cash purchase of pure clad and silver junk.

Anyway, I was able to purchase a few stuff, but I drove a hard bargain. Please let me know if you think I made a great deal on these items:

-------MY DEALINGS ---------------------------------------
1.) I purchased 14 kennedy half dollars that are 40% silver for $33. I low balled this seller and he just stared at me for a while. Hahaha, but I was able to get him to accept $33. He was not happy about it.

2.) From another seller I purchased one (1) silver roosevelt dime and 6 silver war nickels for $8.50.

Please let me know if I did well on these purchases.

-------NOW THE COIN ROLL HUNTING PART ---------------
At the convention center there were three different banks. I got a little daring and decided to coin roll hunt while I was in there. First bank had no rolls. The second bank had a single roll and a few loose halves, but the third one had 17 rolled halves. I was not at all comfortable buying 17 rolled halves in a bank that was just 8 feet away from the convention center. Also, take into consideration I rarely find CWR of halves in the banks I visit. So 17 CWR halves was without a doubt my biggest bank purchase and a strange questionable finding taking into consideration the circumstances. I could not wait to get home in order to search them all, since I had this weird gut feeling I could have been fooled. I was afraid they could be a huge ugly dump. And by ugly I mean that they could be shorted. So, I sat on a corner at the convention center, and used my girlfriends big purse to unroll them inside it (privately) while my girl monitored our surroundings. Can you guess my results???? They were all SKUNKS!!! Definitely a huge dump. But worst yet, two (2) rolls were shorted. I know it could have been worst. I could have lost more money on these, but still - this was the first time this has happened to me. I have never ever purchased a roll that had less than $10 in it. Judging by the results, it had to be a nasty ugly dump from one of the convention sellers. Wish I knew who it was so I could drop a coffee or drink by accident in his display stand. hahahaha.

Oh well, sorry for the long post. Let me know your opinions, specially on the deals I made.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did great with the deals, silver is currently at $34.50... 14 40% half dollars at $71.44 melt value. you paid $33 netting a quick profit that covered your losses.
$8.50 for a roosevelt dime and 6 war nickels is $14.15 in melt value, you did quite well. congrats! and yes, those dealers are very VERY cheap.

OP
OP
G

Gingymann

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ Thanks man. I'm pondering if I should go again on sunday, since it will be the last day of the annual convention. I'm guessing the seller will be desperate by then to make some last minute sales. Maybe I could get them to lower the price enough so that I at least end up buying below melt value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread