crh in salt lake city

thing

Aug 8, 2009
This post is only partly about hunting. my boss wants me to go to salt lake from los angeles, i have never flown before and I am really scared, I have two weeks to beat this fear, or i could just take a 23 hour train trip on the companies dime since they are about the same price. any advice

and on a second note who thinks salt lake will be a bounty or a bust?

finally whoever is painting coins neon green in the la region, please stop;) it is so depressing to open up a box and see all that green stairing at me, I would rather be skunked the old fashion way. I actually found some of your coins in victorville

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Dawg flying isn't scary. Perhaps timzim is expanding his quest for painting every coin?

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a painted half in my box and got ticked. I mean come on! If I wanted to handle colorful coinage, I'll buy one of those preschooler coin sets and mess around with it. When I rewrap my halves I write NS twice and draw a line twice, just in case someone didn't see the first letters/line combo. I would never disrespect the coin or america, as much as I get grumpy over the politics, by painting coinage.

As for flying, I flew once to NY with my grandma when I was 13. Too young to be scared I would think twice about flying. But seriously, how often will you ever have the chance to fly to another part of the us. Or better yet, when will you be there again to go CRHing. I would blow a thousand checking out the coinage there. You never know. You might hit the silver jackpot.

take care and good luck!! Post pics of the journey.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Statistically the plane is safer than the train. Plus, you'll have less travel time if you fly which I assume would mean more time for CRH.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
My wife's brother lives in Ogden, UT so we go there at least once a year to see him and their kids. I always CRH from SLC to Logan while there. It used to be pretty productive, but I think there is more competition lately. Having said that, I usually score some silver from teller trays.

Good luck!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I fly every two years to Poland, nothing has ever happened to me (even though I hate it).

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I hate about flying is going through security and not having any legroom. The phobia is all up to you, just try and tell yourself you're not scared and you're all about flying

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have him rent you a car, you will get there much faster than 23hrs and imagine all the banks you can hit along the way!!! I drive a semi this is how I hunt, although it would be much easier in a car.

Last edited:

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The neon painted halves would piss me off real quick. It's almost like they're laughing at you :laughing7:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have him rent you a car, you will get there much faster than 23hrs and imagine all the banks you can hit along the way!!! I drive a semi this is how I hunt, although it would be much easier in a car.

Wow I can't imagine dealing with the banks that have nothing for you in the way of boxes or CWR after the effort of parking that thing. I have to stop in so many banks to find what I need it's ridiculous

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always call ahead, and use Google to find banks near my location. Have not been turned down for lack of an account yet, which is kind of amazing.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been consistently going through Half Dollar boxes in Utah County(one county South of Salt Lake) for about 18 months. Back when I used to compile data on all my boxes, I found that I was averaging about 1/5 Ounces of Silver per box over the long term. Due to my proximity to Salt Lake, the boxes I search do in fact come from there. I never really had much luck running from bank to bank. One time, before I had my job, I rode TRAX up to Downtown Salt Lake and spent the whole day running around the banks asking for Half Dollars and buying Dimes. I found 12 Silver Dimes that day, which was pretty good, but not worth a whole day's labor. Should be fun to do though, and I stick to Utah County these days, so if you stay in Salt Lake County or North, I won't be any competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread