Psychology of Coin Roll Hunting

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By doing a lot of reading on this forum I noticed that that there is a certain possibly unwritten missing vital section we should be covering here..The Psychology, the mentality, what mindset it takes to be successful in CRH. We focus greatly on the knowledge of coins and scores rather than the attitude it takes to get them. I feel like this would be a very valuable asset to the forums, tips, tricks and mental hacks of CRH. What are some things to pump yourself up for a big order? What thoughts are going through your head while visiting a new bank for the first time? Then of course the attitude you have while talking with tellers, the things you should talk about, the things you should avoid talking about, the persona..the list goes on and on..Any who I feel like the veterans may be able to enlighten the newcomers and vice versa..who knows we may learn something new, lets share our brains!! Thanks! :thumb_up:

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be nice to the tellers, without them you are out of business but do not say to much.

Most of all never stopping looking

I think that sums it up

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Politeness
2. Determination
3. Somewhat easily entertained

'nuf said

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good points Dihren. 1 is pretty easy for me, but when it comes to 3, I'm a natural!

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some level of OCD is required to coin roll hunt consistently. I think you have to be a non-conformist to a degree with an understanding that you are "that coin guy/girl." Also, being a long-term thinker in terms of sticking in there for the accumulation of silver will prepare you for the skunk boxes. Like others say, friendliness with your tellers goes a long way.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I thoroughly enjoy THE HUNT - hunting for treasure and finding the silver. Knowing that the box you got isn't a skunk and seeing that silver rim is great! Every time I add to the stack I get a sense of contentment and accomplishment.

Perhaps knowing the history of the monetary system and silver's historic usage of a store of value adds to the allure: imagining a box in 1963 - and still being able to find the remnants of a wealth and a rich currency. As the silver gets harder to find and knowing our kids won't have it as good as we do, that this hobby will always be around but finding silver will always get harder to do. For me, this may be my glory days of CRH.

Then there is always the monetary gain. In my first 7 months I have found $6000 in silver, and knowing I have a myriad investments I could sell the stash to pursue. When I use some of my CRH profit, I always end up with great things, like a new suit & diamond earrings for my wife, and I get the sense of being a sophisticated American colonialist with some real money, silver, to purchase the finer things. This is a great pursuit.

The downside to the CRH mindset is probably the obsession & addiction. I have searched atleast $300,000 in coins; which is both time consuming & distracting from other priorities. My goal now is to do more with less time & fixation. Keep my (and my wife's) sanity by maintaining some order to when and how I pursue this hobby.

That is my CRH psychology. - Silver Stash

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's me with a box of halves:

1. Dreaming of Walker and Ben enders...
2. Open box, zero enders. Still hoping for Walkers / Bens / 90's.
3. Open 16 rolls. Nothing. Hoping for a nice '64 or two.
4. Roll 17 - SILVER! Wooo-hoooo! Oh, wait. Dirty clad. Dang.
5. Roll 25. Halfway. Still nothing. Forget the 90's... c'mon 40's! Angst, dread, fear, doubt, panic becoming more... real.
6. Stupid clad falls and rolls under the stove ... again. Wait! Is this roll short? Grrrr ...
7. Roll 33. Desperately date checking everything ... even the obvious ones for no particular reason. Break out lucky silver talisman.
8. What? Only 10 rolls left? Ok, hoping for 1 40. Sweating. Images of skunks dance around in my head.
9. Last roll. Seriously??? Curses to the silver gods form...
10. Empty box, empty rolls, empty feeling. Wife shoots you "the look."
11. Should I double check all 1,000 coins?
12. Step. Program. Needed.

Any silver found negates the above and keeps the spirit going for another 20 boxes or so.

HH...!

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really loving these responses yall, keep em coming. Rushfan - this is hilarious!! Mrsilverstash, WOW you got quite the operation and I enjoy your dedication to the sport!! Yes Weasel your right OCD is right, that time when you think you checked all the dates, your 100% positive but then you go back anyways!! LOL.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Politeness is number one for me. When I go to a new bank I ALWAYS make sure I say hello to the tellers before they
say hello to me. I always ask them how they are doing and I am 99% well received. I don't have accounts at a lot of banks but I have great relationships with the tellers nonetheless. Politeness has gotten me further than my money.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand, if the tellers are rude to you then you are allowed to through rolled coin back at them.

Don't know where I heard this but I think it was here on TNET...:laughing7:

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with the politeness rule, whenever I'm calling banks or speaking to tellers I Try to be as nice as poasible, it tends to make asking for coins ATON less awkward and ofcourse there's benefits, the tellers start to notice you and want to give you what you want out of respect. I just dumped 110 dollars in clad halfs at a bank in publix and sure enough my courteous attitude worked out, cheers to no coin star fee!! :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread