Slump is over :)

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
I've been having silver withdrawal over the last couple weeks, with some scarce
boxes of halves, so I was in need of a decent box to curb my appetite and feed the
addiction.

1st Box had just 2 keepers. 1964 Kennedy, and a Franklin ( when only finding 2, its nice they are 90%'rs :)

2nd Box was a nice surprise , with 10 Franklins, 1 Walker , 2 '64 Kennedys and 2 '68's.

(Will add a picture soon, not on the computer yet)

PS. Who marks their halves with a black marker in the ear hole LOL. Also , anybody engrave P.J. onto
a 1974 d ??? I know your here somewhere haha.

Ive been finding boatloads of marked halves lately. Its become an epidemic... the silver is going to be disappearing fast. Dangit ! ;)

Upvote 0

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
If you use a mark do it on the coin, alot of banks re-roll halves in there own wrappers after counting.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Don't mark the coins. It would do no good. The point of marking rolls is so you don't search it again. If you're searching through the coins, it doesn't matter if the coins are marked or not. You can check the coin in the same time it takes you to see a defacing mark. Plus marking the actual coins is pretty much defacing them. If the coins are rerolled, then it won't matter.

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
Nice batch of Franklins. Glad to see the the silver is flowing again. WTG

Snee, I think that the point of marking the coin is just to see if it turns up again. Like was mentioned earlier some banks will unwrap any rolls turned in and either send them back to the reserve or re-roll them with their own wrappers. The majority of the banks around here require you to turn them in unrolled.

I will mark a few just to see if they turn up anywhere. It is my understanding the while in my possession the coins are my personal property and I can do with them what I like as long as I do not alter them with the intent of defrauding someone.

HH
Mr.T

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Mrtheman is right... There is a little confusion going on. There are 2 groups of searchers...
Bank box orderers, and bank roll searchers.

My comments about marking were just for enjoyment sake, to see how wide or far the circulation
of each areas coins go. The majority of banks ship halves back to the coin services / Fed, where
they are bagged and sent to places needing them. They go in big machines that recount and reroll
in huge quantity. No original rolls are reused, except by a bank that just keeps them, and recycles
them from only their own bank.

One individual coin from a roll of mine, may end up in California, while another single coin could end up
in Florida etc etc.

So if you only do bank roll searching, from a banks own inventory, then marking rolls "searched" is a good
idea. But if ordering boxes, and cashing back in .. etc etc , then you could be a candidate for marking
a few coins with your initials and see where they go. No defacing permanently though... I wouldnt like
to see that at all.

Later, and thanks for the nice comments !
Happy Searchin'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread