Rollhunters marking halves - Fun experiment

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
I remember there being a post about different markings some of us put onto the coins they
search. Not trying to revive old topics, but I thought this would be cool.

I havent ever marked any halves, but after today, finding many many marked ones... I think
Im going to mark a few of the next batch, and see if anyone runs across them, that are on this
forum.

Maybe if some of us do this already, or anyone that starts now, we can make a list of our
"signature" markings, and when we search rolls, and find a mark, we can see who had it before
from somewhere else in the country.

No need to mark huge amounts, but maybe pick a dozen and mark them in an undamaging way. Then
see where they might end up.

I already noted in another post, but today I found a bunch. Black marker in earhole of Kennedy, scribed P.J onto front of a 1974d , red marker covering Kennedy face and on back also, blue marker making a shirt or coat on Kennedy, black colored in Kennedy face, black X on front ... plus at least 10 rim markings in black or blue.

Im claiming a big "686" across the face for my mark. Youll know that one is me ! LOL. They probably will wear or wash off eventually, but should last a good while if using a permanent Sharpie type marker.

If anyone wants to join in just for kicks, post your mark here, and Ill make a running list. Then I will start a running post and we can keep adding to it - just for fun within the group of regulars that come here. Next week, Ill have mine released into the wild haha.

Later - Happy Searchin'

Upvote 0

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
Sounds like fun, I'll play. My mark will be a double H (an H inside of another H). Thats our brand back home on the ranch. I will post a pic of the mark on my next batch just for clarification.

HH
Mr.T

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I would mark mine with a scribbled AB just so if I got that roll again, I wouldn't waste my time on it. It came in handy a couple of times. Heck, once I got a couple boxes of pennies, looked inside them, and saw my signiture on ever single roll in both boxes. whoops :)

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll play........

I only search halves, and don't mark individual coins, but every roll I turn in has "BOOTH" written in red block letters on it.

Where they go, well, I don't know......

Robin

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Just an update to ease confusion...

Alot of forum members are strictly "roll" searching from bank inventories. Then there
are alot that "order" from Fed / Coin services.

My comments about marking were just for enjoyment sake, to see how wide or far the circulation
of each areas coins go. The majority of banks ship halves back to the coin services / Fed, where
they are bagged and sent to places needing them.(usually when they get too many) They go in big machines that recount and reroll in huge quantity. No original rolls are reused, except by a bank that just keeps them, and recycles them from only their own banks.

So one individual coin from a roll of mine, may end up in California, while another single coin could end up
in Florida etc etc.

So if you only do bank roll searching, from a banks own inventory, then marking rolls "searched" is a good
idea. But if ordering boxes, and cashing back in .. etc etc , then you could be a candidate for marking
a few coins with your initials and see where they go. No defacing permanently though... I wouldnt like
to see that at all.

Hope that helps. Doesnt look to be much of an interest though, so no biggie. If anyone decides to
try it, Ill surely report when finding anyones marked coins. Im kinda curious to see just how circulated
they are, and how many coins are relooked over and over by us. It might be alot more than we think :)

In any case... have fun ! So if you see a big 686 on a half-dollar... well, it went through my hands in PA.

Happy searchin'

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
That blue shirt on JFK could have been mine. I did that on a couple of rolls last June or July here in southern california. So Raptor, how far did it travel?

OP
OP
RaptorSE

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
goldinmypan - Im in Western PA, so if so, thats a long long way LOL.

Thats kind of why I thought a distinctive mark would be good, so there would be
no doubt. That would show quite an amazing journey if it could be "without a doubt" a
coin that you marked!.. That would go to show that anyone can find a nice score, no matter
where they are.. .they travel all over the place.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Well, I guess thats a well traveled half. I used to live in Connelsville, PA way back in the mid '60s' when I worked for the B&O RR.

Its sort of like they use 'Where's George' to track bills. Except bills have a much shorter life span.

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
Well here is my mark. I marked 40 halves and released them the other day. It will be interesting to see if anyone finds them.

HH
Mr.T

100_1714.jpg

T

TheDetectorist

How about I just mark every roll "no silver" with a smiley. Save somebody alot of time searching.

TD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread