Ike dollars? Anybody?

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
For some reason I have a fond attachment to them (maybe because they were the last of the large dollars produced), but I don't think they will have a great premium for collectors... with the exception of error coins, of course.
HH,
Bob

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked ebay completed listings and see that they are selling for anywhere from $1.40 to over $2.00 a piece in small lots of 20 or so.I'll probably hold on to them.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I just got back from an estate sale with alot of coins on it. There were over 100 Ikes, they sold them one at a time...... did that take forever, but they brought $2.00 - $10.00 each. (most brought $2-$4) but one guy was snoozing and thought he was buying silver dollars and bought 2 @ $10 each. LOL.

I say hold them for now. They will eventually go up. With the new Presidential Dollar program, who knows, that may spark interest in people collecting other Dollar coins, like it did with the quarters/state quarters. Look how much the older quarters have gone up in value in the past 3-4 years!

T

TreasureTales

Aren't there two types of Ike dollars? One with large or flattened lettering and one with smaller lettering? I forget which type is supposed to be rarer or more collectible. I don't have the Red Book close at hand, so I can't answer my own questions. LOL Keep 'em for a few years, they certainly shouldn't lose value (unless we switch to the Amero coins with the North American Union plot/plan).

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
The "type 1" and "type2" you refered to are for the bi-centenial 1976 issue. Those issued in 1975, carring the 1976 date did have a differernt font used on the reverse than the 1976 dated 1976. Confused yet? The ones produced in 1975, dated 1976, are slightly more valuable.

T

TreasureTales

nc-joe said:
The "type 1" and "type2" you refered to are for the bi-centenial 1976 issue. Those issued in 1975, carring the 1976 date did have a differernt font used on the reverse than the 1976 dated 1976. Confused yet? The ones produced in 1975, dated 1976, are slightly more valuable.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. LOL ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha-ha,that's funny. ;D I'll have to check these 'cause almost half of them are the 1976 bicentennial issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread