Been Roll Hunting For Years

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading this forum for about a month, but I've been roll hunting since 1974. I started out with cents and still do $50 / week of those, along with some nickels, dimes, and quarters. Because of your stories, I've recently added a box of halves to my weekly search. Over the years, I've found more than 50 Indian Head cents in rolls (the most was four in one $50 sitting). The oldest dated coin was an 1865 Indian Head and my oldest silver was a 1906 Barber dime. When I worked at McDonald's in Lakewood, NY (where I grew up), the manager let me trade rolls with what was in the safe each week, doubling what I could look through. That's where the 1906 Barber came from.
So far, I've looked through two boxes of halves, the teller was sick two weeks ago and forgot to order my box last week, so I'm already going through withdrawal on the halves. The first box had six 1964s and 26 40%. The second box had one 1944 Walking Liberty, six 1964s, and 17 40%. I've already sold the 40% halves for 1.5 times face, netting $43 profit. I can't wait until Thursday to pick up this week's box of halves (she promised she wouldn't forget and actually put the order in while I was standing there on Friday).

Upvote 0

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You've been doing pretty good. My oldest penny is a 1909 VDB I found about 45 years ago. Now I'm back in the hunt looking for others. It is fun. I talked to a fellow at our metal detector club's Christmas party last night and found out he is hunting rolls also, but he lives about an hour and a half away and doesn't search in my area.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you've been hunting rolls longer than I've been alive. It certainly is amazing at what we are finding. I've only been doing this a year so far but have some pretty darn good results from it! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions