war nickels and branching out

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got done going through 2 boxes of nickels and found just 2 war nickels. Not bad. But I changed my dump bank to a pickup one recently and the coin vault teller gave me the lecture. She told me quote , I told you several weeks ago that if you (which means me) were going to be getting nickels on a regular basis that I was suppose to let them know because they have businesses that get boxes too. I told her that I haven't been here in two weeks and that I really would hate to inconvience them by having them ordering boxes weekly and then I not show up due to work or some other reason. So I am thinking about starting to have a small branch of another bank as my pickup site because they have been nothing but totally sweet and understanding. I even asked them about ordering my first 1000 dollars of halves and they told me that I would just have to let them know. I asked them about having to return that 1000 dollars to the main office where there is my favorite unlimited coin counter. They said that there was no fee and no limit for account holders. I have checked out 3 other banks and credit unions and found they only deal with their account holders. One place wouldn't even sell me a roll of nickels. How lame is that? Sheesh.

Anyways rather that go dump my nickels right away, I am going to use my next paycheck to get another 2 boxes of nickels and then buy a little red wagon. Save my arms, which have been giving me problems, the horror of carrying 4 boxes of nickels at once. Anyways wish me luck.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Upvote 0

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is policy at almost every bank I use, that if I want a box I must place an order. They will not sell me a box, unless I ordered it because they have to make sure they have enough for their business clients. It is courtesy to pick up a box I ordered the day it comes in so that they don't have to take up vault space with it. If I can't do one of those 2 things, I don't get a box.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
hmm, dumb question. Have you ever paid someone to pick up boxes for you? I have a co-worker who goes to town every thursday and I was teasing her about paying her gas money to stop at her credit union, which is mine too, and pick up a box of nickels for me. I have thursday off and we were going to have a girl's day. I was going to see if she wants to go out to lunch and then we could check out the local banks and credit unions. She doesn't CRH btw.

Sincerely, Lisa

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If you know her well enough, go for it. If you keep getting skunked, just stop the orders there (Why waste money on paying her?)

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are able to take advantage of your workplace, ask if they can order change for you on a weekly basis. They probably won't care so long as its under 1K/week.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't even afford 1000 dollars. I wish. I normally only do 200 a week in nickels. Not the 10 boxes of halves that I have seen other people doing but the last box I got had 6 4 buffalos and 6 war nickels.Now I am up to 11 war nickels in less than 3 months. I am trying to get to a roll of nickels by the end of the year. Next week I get my bonus pay for not using sick leave. That is an additional 230 dollars to put towards getting nickels. Yeah!

Sincerely, Garoulady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I wouldn't do it all the time but she's into coins too. She shows me her finds. I lovingly call her a "b", then I show her mine and she calls me a "b" back and we laugh. All jokingly. I teased her about the 1928 gold certificate I found in my till and asked her why she didn't snap it up. She said she wasn't into paper money. I told her I wasn't either but I still snapped it up. Unfortunatly she works in the wee hours of morning and I don't see her alot. But I work friday and plan on leaving a note for her, asking her to order me a box of nickels. I got the 100 dollars on me so I might get really lucky and she might have an extra box on hand for me to buy.

I am also cutting back my dumps. I don't want to tee off my dump bank, even if its only 200 bucks every week. I figure I will save up to 500 dollars in nickels, dump them and deposit the money into my account. I really want to see if I can make it to a full roll of war nickels by the end of december. Then in January I plan on working towards getting a 1000 dollars of halves. Or maybe i will get a 1000 worth of nickels. ::shrugs:; still thinking about it.

Sincerely,Garoulady

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You work with the funds you've got right? I can't do tons of boxes either, but that is a nice thing about this hobby. It doesn't take a ton of money to hunt. You just need to be flexible about what you hunt and be careful about keeping your costs down. The toughest part of this hobby is by far keeping dump banks from closing your account. That seems to be my trouble, but I think I'm going to have to call around again to make arrangements for more consistent drop offs.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you with a 90% certainty that your dump bank is not going to be upset with you dropping off $200 of nickles. Especially if you re-rolled them. I bet a bank goes through $100 of nickles every 2 days at least. There is a big difference in dumping pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters then dumping halves. If it is a coin in common circulation, it is something that they can use. Of course that is only if you re-roll and cash them in for deposit.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally have them deposit back into my account. Once I did ask for 100 dollars in halves just out of curiousity. I waited two weeks and dumped that into my coinstar for an amazon giftcard. I know for a fact that they carry machine wrapped coins rolls of halves. I think if my mom wants me to take her to town christmas shopping, I will ask around for dollar coins and halves. I have a 100 dollars in my back pocket now for that reason. I am going to order a box from my work and then order two boxes from my smaller pickup bank. Only bad part is that their pickup dates are different days, but i figure my co-worker will hold them for an extra day, so I can pick them both up on thursday. Then Friday I will take all 500 dollars of nickels to dump them at my dump bank and deposit the money into my checking account. I still think I need to get a little red wagon LOL.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread