cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new at CRH (I like that, didn't know what to call it) I live in So CAL and metal detect with an XLT.

One month ago somebody that I know innocently asked me if silver could still be found in loose change. I had never heard of CRH and thought about what he said. I figured that since I never saw Kennedy's any more and I could get them at the bank, odds were pretty good that there might be something. One week ago I went to the bank and asked if they had any rolls and the teller next to me spoke up and said they just got one box in. I didn't know what the box cost but said OK I will take it. I was surprised $500 could weigh so much.

It took me less than a week to go through and now I am hooked.
2 - 90% (one is a 1935 walking liberty)
4 - 40%
3 - BU in the 80s

and 1 plastic token that says "good for 1 drink" at a Shriners lodge that is about 15 miles away. (that roll still had a full $10)

I thought I would be one of the few with my new found hobby till I did a google search.

Well one more person to dilute the silver crop out there, sorry. ;D

I buy mine at one bank where I have my savings account and deposit them at a credit union where I have a different account.

Has any one ever gotten any grief for bringing in a ton of coins? My credit union says I must roll all coins.

Dan

Upvote 0

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My area must really be unusual, because they don't want you to reroll the coins. Everybody seems to have a coin counting machine and run all coins through it. As far as bringing in a bunch, I try to bring mine in a few at a time, no more the a hundred dollars worth.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another option to get rid of them is to keep some loose ones in your vehicle. If you are going to go to a convenience store or somewhere and just spend a few dollars, use them. You keep your folding money, that is less halves to deposit and many of those will make their way to a piggy bank or something out of the way and you will not have to go thru those coins again. Just a suggestion.

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
you should do it in the reverse , take them to the reg bank and get them from the CU as the credit union gets their coins and rolls from the public and doesnt get them from most other places... thus you pull them out of circ from the people putting them in.. but as most CRH's youll need more banks as your passion grows... good luck and hope that helps a little

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strykerstalker said:
.. but as most CRH's youll need more banks as your passion grows...

Why is that? Is it because banks will cut you off after you make a pest of your self requesting so many coins?

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
no, actually i do it for a few reasons, one being to broden my search area, two being credit, more accounts more credit, and then i guess if you want to look at it that way then i guess they cant bicker or think funny of you if one you have an account and two your depositing money as well as pulling it out.. like for instance there is one bank for buying penny rolls, and one for depositing them, and the one i deposit them in is the bank i get rolls of dimes from and so on.. me personally always put half of my deposits into that banks account and ask for the other coins.. making it both logical for searching and investing.. thanks for the question tho being i find most of the people silly whom think me funny cause i play with money.. as a rich buisness man might say surround yourself with money and spend to get.. me play with it and stack it and one day it might grow..<G> Ok now keep the minds out of the gutters.. and good luck hunting.. Oh and yes i mark my rolls so as i can be sure im not getting my own searches back..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread