Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Penny CRH?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2012
    South Carolina
    Tesero Compadre
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Penny CRH?

So I think I have decided to search some pennies but is there any key dates to look for besides indian head and wheats?

Dec 2012
    1 times
    Alot of people keep the S mints (1968 - 1974) as they arent as common as the others.
    Any other S mints on LMC would be proof coins and probably worth keeping as well.
    2009 are also collected for their relatively low mintages and scarcity.
    Some hoard copper (1959-1982, not all 82's are 95% copper though). These can sell for a small premium because of their copper content.

There are also some errors from these years (A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage) seems to be a good resource but other may have a better one.

Keep what you find interesting. The only cents i keep are wheats/indian heads/foreign

Nov 2012
    Super-Skunksville x1000.
    1071 times
    C R H 'N
    More than a small premium 50% return. Its not worth sorting though manually for copper though, and it takes longer than you'd expect even with a comparator

us
    Apr 2011
    616 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 50cent View Post
    Its not worth sorting though manually for copper though, and it takes longer than you'd expect even with a comparator
    You mean it's not worth it for you to sort through manually. There are plenty of people on here who disagree...
    jrf30 likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    South Carolina
    Tesero Compadre
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post

You mean it's not worth it for you to sort through manually. There are plenty of people on here who disagree...
    Can u sell the copper on craigslist? The only reason I would search pennies is to make alil extra by selling

Aug 2012
    579 times
    I sort manually while searching for wheats. It's not hard, just two bags to drop them into. Set the wheats/Canadian aside, use an empty coin box for the copper, put the non copper in my dump bag. No extra time involved, really.

us
    Nov 2012
    149 times
    I love searching pennies, Finding old wheat pennies and odd coins is just fun period.

us
    Dec 2012
    Michigan
    192 times
    Ya the 92 close am or 92cam an the wide am wam cents 98,99,00 easiest errors to find
    ~2013~ CRH GOALS
    8/12 Buffalo Nickels
    13/16 War nickels
    120/250 Wheaties
    0/1 Indian Head
    1/1 Silver dime (american)
    1/4 Troy ounce rounds (bought)

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    137 times
    Took me six weeks form when I got my ryedale to when I sold enough pennies with enough profit to PAY for the Ryedale. true story. I can't say that about my White's MD. I've sold a lot since then, and am hoarding now, waiting for a hopeful rise again in prices, but I;m way ahead of the game. IN 2011, I calculated it that I was earninga bout $7 per hour from sorting, selling and dumping coppers. Not agreat, but that doesn't include the wheats or IH and it also comes form something that i ENJOY. Can't say I "make" money from golf, as it costs me money to play. So for those that say that is a low hourly wage - so what? It beats payng $90 for four hours of fun on the course. And having a machine that paid for itself in six weeks? Awesome!
    toorude89 and BuffaloBoy like this.

us
    Dec 2012
    South Carolina
    Tesero Compadre
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jrf30 View Post
    Took me six weeks form when I got my ryedale to when I sold enough pennies with enough profit to PAY for the Ryedale. true story. I can't say that about my White's MD. I've sold a lot since then, and am hoarding now, waiting for a hopeful rise again in prices, but I;m way ahead of the game. IN 2011, I calculated it that I was earninga bout $7 per hour from sorting, selling and dumping coppers. Not agreat, but that doesn't include the wheats or IH and it also comes form something that i ENJOY. Can't say I "make" money from golf, as it costs me money to play. So for those that say that is a low hourly wage - so what? It beats payng $90 for four hours of fun on the course. And having a machine that paid for itself in six weeks? Awesome!
    How many boxes did u do per week?

Nov 2012
    Super-Skunksville x1000.
    1071 times
    C R H 'N
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerTeller View Post
    Exactly, and I was saying it for advice to almost anyone with a sense of logic. If you sort through pennies, for copper ones manually, you have too much time on your hands. The longest part of sorting through a roll for me now, (for copper anyways) is unwrapping the roll. Its maddening looking through a pile of pennies sorting coppers and non-coppers; simply because there are so many coppers.

AG in halves,quarters,dimes take only seconds to open and see if their is AG or not. Copper, you basically need to dump all the pennies on the table and look at the dates. I'd like the people who actually sort copper pennies with their hands to chime in and tell me what exactly they intend to do with their hand sorted copper? I know there are people who disagree, but I doubt there are 'plenty' of them...

Aug 2012
    579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 50cent View Post
    I'd like the people who actually sort copper pennies with their hands to chime in and tell me what exactly they intend to do with their hand sorted copper? I know there are people who disagree, but I doubt there are 'plenty' of them...
    Same thing you intend to do, sell it when there is a buyer at a good price. It's a hobby for me, not a business. I'm not going to invest in a rye dale, I am still focusing on AG. The pennies are a way to pass time when I am out of other coins to search, or want to slow down the pace.

Nov 2012
    11 times
    Same thing you intend to do, sell it when there is a buyer at a good price. It's a hobby for me, not a business. I'm not going to invest in a rye dale, I am still focusing on AG. The pennies are a way to pass time when I am out of other coins to search, or want to slow down the pace.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I hand search pennies and i do it when silvers not available. Ive sold hand sorted coppers locally. Nothing but profit, ive thought about getting a machine and decided nah, it wod take the thrill away from me. I like looking at every coin. You never know what you might toss in a machine and give to a buyer.

us
    May 2011
    Kentucky
    159 times
    I made about $1000 in profit from hand sorting pennies in the past 18 months. I bought silver and gold with the money I made while watching TV with my wife. I also found a lot of coins for my two Dansco penny albums.
    "Hello from deep within the copper mines of Western Kentucky."

"Keep your hands off of my stack."

Nov 2012
    Super-Skunksville x1000.
    1071 times
    C R H 'N
    Name:  1-50-Cent-Laugh-Off.gif
Views: 143
Size:  1,011.1 KB

well suckas, you go ahead and hand sort them cents, Ill be in the fast lane
    toorude89 and Eminem like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast