Teller: "Those arent your coins in the reject tray...You come in with half dollars."

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teller: "Those aren't your coins in the reject tray...You come in with half dollars."

Eminem, I'll throw you a couple 90%ers to take care of this rude teller for me....

In the past, a friendly teller at my dump bank; today she gave me a rough time when I asked to take the reject coins out of the tube. Given, there was probably about 5 dollars in change, she said "you normally come in with halves, those coins were from the person before you." It was just a bit annoying since I am very nice and respectful to this teller, and have not been to the bank in a while. Plus, I don't see what gives her the authority to be the coin police. Most tellers don't make a spectacle out of taking the reject change, and usually just add it to my coin ticket without a thought. I am not saying I think I deserve the extra change, but MAN, what an insult! Why even bother fighting with a customer about a thing like that?

Been on the worst skunk/luck streak of my CRH hobby. I had tremendous luck from the start back in July and have had bad luck since the middle of December. I feel like my usual banks and tellers are restless of me. Orders are getting "forgotten" or schedules have been affected by the holiday. I am wishing all of you guys lots of luck in the new year, and hope you're not going through what I am going through with my hunts. I am still keeping the head up high, and here's to much silver in 2013!

Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A week ago in the largest branch of TD in my area I was dumping a box of halves, and the machine shorted me exactly $5. I had never been there but the manager was right next to me when I did it so she knew I dumped the whole box. We printed out the ticket and she told the teller, "give him $5 from the rejects to make it an even $500". So that led me to believe that they keep the rejects to help in customer service issues.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
A week ago in the largest branch of TD in my area I was dumping a box of halves, and the machine shorted me exactly $5. I had never been there but the manager was right next to me when I did it so she knew I dumped the whole box. We printed out the ticket and she told the teller, "give him $5 from the rejects to make it an even $500". So that led me to believe that they keep the rejects to help in customer service issues.

I think they just know there were $5 there. They could easily not have $5 at one time.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
In the past, a friendly teller at my dump bank; today she gave me a rough time when I asked to take the reject coins out of the tube. Given, there was probably about 5 dollars in change, she said "you normally come in with halves, those coins were from the person before you." It was just a bit annoying since I am very nice and respectful to this teller, and have not been to the bank in a while. Plus, I don't see what gives her the authority to be the coin police. Most tellers don't make a spectacle out of taking the reject change, and usually just add it to my coin ticket without a thought. I am not saying I think I deserve the extra change, but MAN, what an insult! Why even bother fighting with a customer about a thing like that?

This is why I always throw a handful or two of cents into my halves bag when I dump. Well, one of the reasons anyway.

Let me get this straight. You asked a teller to give you the rejects that were someone else's money and you are upset that she said "no."

We are all involved in a hobby that costs the banks money to support. Of a teller found it odd that you wanted to scarf up someone else's rejected coins and disallowed it, you should be more embarrassed than indignant.

No argument that he didn't deserve the money, but it is extremely presumptuous of the teller to assume that the coins weren't his. HOW DOES SHE KNOW?? What business is it of hers to monitor his coins as he dumps them in? Weaselbrott is entirely in the right in saying it is not her business to be the coin police.

Last edited:

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I dumped $500 in dimes today. A couple of the dimes made it to the reject slot and when I stuck my finger in the tube I pulled out a 2 pence coin. I filled the bag so the teller came over and opened the machine. He then gave me all the coins in the tube, dimes, a quarter, and some more foreign. After he replaced the bag he check the magnet and said "lets give you the rest of the foreign coins. They were probably from someone earlier this morning" I left with a pocket full of foreign change.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday a teller gave me all the coins off the magnet. Same bank this morning another teller says they have to bag and keep all the rejects on the magnet. Who knows what the real policy is? Just keep being nice to the tellers and it will pay off from time to time.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are using the machine the coins in the reject tray, internal reject tray, and/or magnet belong to you. There's no way the teller can prove you didn't bring those coins in. Even if he/she checks your receipt, you could have done more than one session that day and the coins could have been yours from earlier...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread