garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only done 1 box of nickels ever, found one on the 3rd to last roll

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i average .7 per box. i did about 10 boxes last year.

Last edited:

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
some are better tna others. i also got 5 buffalos, 3 with dates. i was hurt by a couple boxes that were 80% of one year (2011 and 2010). too bad they weren't 2009's!!!!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through about a grand in nickels before I found a buff. Found a liberty, my only one, with dumb luck on my first box ever.

My war nickels are probably 1 for every 1 or 2 boxes.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I've ever been skunked on a nickel box. Probably done like 20 of 'em, at least 1 war nickel in each, sometimes 2 and a random buffalo every few boxes

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did two boxes of nickels last year, found one war nickel.

Did $300 in CWR of nickels, found one war nickel.

I was helping my buddy dig a trench in his backyard over the summer to run electric to his shed, found one war nickel about five inches deep.

Found a war nickel in a teller's tray last week.

That's the extent of my nickel searching. Haha.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
1/box average depending on the company
brinks is actually the best for nickels, which is strange as for all other units, they have been the worst.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done ~24 boxes of nickels lifetime that produced 16 war nickels, no key/semi-key dates, no buffs, and no V's.

dspeer83

Greenie
Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do about 3 boxes of nicks a week when my halves are all done. Last year I averaged about 1 war nick for every 2 boxes, and 1 buff for every 4 boxes. Nicks are cheap and banks always have plenty of boxes on hand, not a bad way to pass the time while you're waiting on an order.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 1 war nickel for every 1.3 boxes. Sometimes i have gone as many as 5 boxes with none and sometimes find two in a box.

MChittum89

Greenie
Aug 7, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Did my first two boxes of nickels ever last week one box was all 2012s and in the other box found a non dated buffalo, 3 war nickels, a proof, and 2 others from 1930s. It was a great box for my first time probably will never be so lucky again.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War nickels talk about a waste of time, ud be better off looking for the closed 1992 am penny b4 another war nickel comes in your grasps.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
War nickels talk about a waste of time, ud be better off looking for the closed 1992 am penny b4 another war nickel comes in your grasps.

I like doing nickels. If you get a roll of war nickels thats about 80 dollars silver worth. And if you had a dollar's face value of pre-1964 coinage, nickels give you the highest silver content, over a ounce worth. And here in michigan everyone I know of does dimes and halves, leaving me to do small time nickel searching. Unfortunately I am in the middle of a silver skunk streak 8 boxes long. I found one dateless buffalo in my last box and that's it. I went 7 boxes before finding anything of value. I haven't done nickels in about 3 weeks due to my work schedule and the crazy holiday season. I plan on picking up another box thursday to see if the christmas craziness stirred some silver up from the bottom. ::crosses her fingers:: wish me luck.

sincerely, Garoulady

CaliShawnNokc

Dec 30, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/9in coil
Whites MXT PRO w/DD 6x10
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started doing CRH and I'm only at 2 boxes and $110 in customer rolls. So far I have 2 war nicks and 2 buffs. The first buff I found is a F-12 1916 D type-2. Only worth about $11 but kinda cool for my first find. I plan on getting another box tomorrow and I hope I find more War nicks, but who knows. I guess I'll repost after I get to about 10 boxes for a good average. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread