War Nickel question

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had horrible luck recently with war nickels. Well nickels in general. 10 boxes with not a single buff or war or even any pre-1950 nickels. I stopped at my LCS and asked if they had any war nickels for purchuse. they did but they were numistic valued coins. I was thinking about asking them if they could hold any none-numistic war nickels for me. But I don't know what a good price would be to purchuse them. I know they are a business but they normally don't have junk nickels. Just dimes, quarters, halves and dollar pieces for junk and bullion. I don't do ebay because of fees and I hate paypal. Craigslist is just too dicey for me. so other than crhing its the LCS for me. Anyone got a good idea what a good price for war nickels would be? How much under or over spot should I pay per nickel? Or should I go to Provident metals and buy from them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely, Garoulady

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is all in the art of negotiation GL.
My LCS I can usually buy at spot. I tell them I am not interested in numismatic coins only "junk" silver.
Many times i can buy at spot. But there have also been times when he was too heavy into the coins and asks me to pay a bit over spot. I just asked how much do u want to make on this deal, If it is acceptable to me then we have a deal if not you can hold em a bit longer.

One of the nicer coins I have gotten from there is a 2012 ASE graded @ MS70 I talked this coin up and told him what a great coin it was and it is probably worth 70-90 bucks on ebay with the grade it had. I also told him I was not interested in it as he would want too much money for it. He calls me back the following week and of course I ask about what a great price he sold this coin for and at that point he offers it to me for 40 bucks. I figure with spot silver at that time around 32.00 with it being graded @ +12-15.00 to have it graded and then @ MS 70 ok man 40 bucks u got a deal. Yes I paid a bit over spot but we were both happy in the end.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They really do not command a a good price. I would like a roll a face value - but beyond that...only very pretty ones in Capital holders would I ever consider buying.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya my guy in Warren mi. Told me 2 a piece. I've considered buying just to fill the holes on my folder. But I'd say switch banks and try getting from a different trucking company. I've had limited luck with brinks. Going to try an see who uses loomis

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were trying to fill a spot in my folder I would just save the money and search until I found them. It's not hard to put the set together searching.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
well nickels are easier to search. I mean I rather get 4 boxes of nickels and have some extra money than get 2 boxes of dimes. I have done that before with nothing to show for it other than lost gas mileage. My LCS doesn't save nickels but I was thinking about asking them to keep an eye out for them and I would pay them 90 cents a peice for them. Thanks for all the information. It's appreciated.

Sincerely,
Garoulady aka G-Lady, LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread