Broke my own rule - always buy them all!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Made my weekend dump run today, stopping by a few pick up banks as well. One bank I stopped by to see if they had any CWR's; the same bank that I scored my first solid roll a few months ago. Unfortunately, this particular bank had more recently been the target of dumpers leaving rerolled Brinks rolls, so I wasn't overly enthusiastic. Sure enough, the vault teller says she has plenty of halves in the vault, but was evasive - wouldn't tell me how many. I'm thinking it's more rerolled dumps, so I tell her I'll take $50 worth, even though I have close to $1,000 cash on me from my own dumping run. She heads to the vault, asking me what kind of rolls I want.

:icon_scratch: What kind of rolls do I want? What the heck does that mean?

Feeling incredibly awkward, I give some flip comment about the oldest looking ones she has. She comes back with 5 old looking rolls...

I pay her, thank her, and head out the the car. Drive about a block away to a shopping center parking lot, and open the rolls. First few offer nothing, but the last one yields 5 40%'ers! Again feeling like an idiot, I drive back to the bank, walk inside and say "I changed my mind, I'll take them all, at least up to $1,000 worth."

The vault teller's face lights up, and she goes back to the vault, coming out with 42 more rolls, of several different varieties, but all CWR's. She said "one of our elderly customers brought these in about a month ago" and my heart starts beating fast! She continues "and I've been trying to get rid of them. You're my favorite customer for taking them off my hands!" I'm thinking "and you're my favorite teller!" LOL!

Couldn't go through them right away, as I had to evaluate my friend's collection immediately afterwards. Incredible stuff, I'll post that later. However, I got home tonight and finally went through them. No 90%'s, but out of $470 in CWR's, there were a total of 21 40%'s, and 2 nice proofs - 1980 and 1983.

Lesson of the story - always take them all!

DSC04750.JPG

DSC04753.JPG

HH!

Upvote 0

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much do you dump at a time? How do you choose your dump banks?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
At least you went back and got the rest, I never leave the parking lot without taking a peak at the rolls,( I'm ocd like that). Nice score there FT! HH, Maverick.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! It's tough to obey that rule all the time. If nothing else, you build rapport w/ the tellers. You managed to do so and get a nice payday. Congrats.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know better than that FT! Just think if the 5 rolls you bought had been skunks, you woulda missed ~$100 in silver. Lesson learned I think. Nice score. :icon_thumright:

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
That's exactly why I buy them all. Even if I think there dumps. 99% of the time I find silver in at least one roll. Plus if you don't then it's always in the back of your mind..... Maybe I should have taken them all. HH

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet finds!!! Keep it up!!! Sounds like your method is just about tried and true:).

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Hence the word "always" in that rule. Yep, even when i know they are dumps, I take them all. Even if they AREe all dumps, it makes the tellers decide to hold halves for me in the future when they get them. Consistentcy and they know they can rely on me to take them. More amazing though is that they had been at the bank for a MONTH. Here,. it is dog eat dog, and banks are asked numerous time a day for halves. About a month ago a bank called and said a late box I tried to pick up that wasn't in yet had finally arrived. I told them I'd be down. Got there, and was #4 person in line. Guy at the teller asked for halves. They said they had none. Second guy in line then asked for halves too, even after hearing the first guy ask. They said no to him too, and he responded "But I see that box of them right there. Can I have that?" they said no, and then when I got up there I got my box. :-) Three people though out of those four were asking for halves. I've never had two others ask while I was at the bank, although I have heard of one ask before (And sometimes get CWR right in front of me!) A month? Wow. Lucky for you. Good job. :-)

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't follow this rule because I am having a hard time getting rid of even rolled halves in my area, even though I have accounts at every bank and ask to deposit them if I get resistance exchanging. So if a bank has $500 or $1000 in halves from a customer, I don't buy them because I've done this many times in the past and they've always been dumped halves. There are a lot of other searchers in my area and many of them re-roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions