1941 jefferson

frieguy

Oct 20, 2005
found a 1941 jefferson the other day, was wonding if there were any from 41 that were silver, I know that they were 35% silver from 42-45. just wondering if anyone know anything at all about it. it seems to be a metal other than the current nickles ( when droped on a wooden table it makes a different tone) it looks like a different metal as well. but that could just be the agedness of it.... lol I made a new word, anyway thanks in advance, frieman.

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the same content as today. Some 1942 and all 1943 - 1945 are 35% silver. All silver nickels have a large mintmark above the dome of monticello on the reverse, including Philadelphia which normally did not have a mint mark back them. If you do not see a large P, D, or S above the dome it is not silver. HH

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Yeah, what he said. They started making them out of silver-alloy mid-1942. So even if you get a 1942, you have to check the back to see if it's war-time. Check for the mintmark over the dome. If the mintmark is small, on the right, then it is clad.

But all nickels (in my opinion) 1959 and before, is worth keeping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread