Cent Searchers - 1983-D Copper Cent found (not by me - just news)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
In the mail, today, came the latest issue of Numismatic News. The front page has an article written by Ken Potter. The article is the first 1983-D cent found on a copper planchet in Ohio by a CRH'er. There have been specimens found of 1983 Philly cents with a copper planchet, but none before from the Denver mint. It has been attributed and slabbed by PCGS. It is estimated that it would be worth $15k.

So keep your eye out as the possibility exists of discovering another in the wild. Those who are running their Ryedale, you might want to be checking through the copper sort for anomalies.

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Wow, I have heard of all the varieties/errors or so i thought! This will definitely give me another one to look at when sifting through the copper pile.

Thanks for the info.

MU

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
So many of us who hand sort, toss everything >83 (except for known DDs and WAMs). Some don't even bother weighing the 82s as it takes too much time and keep 81 and earlier.

There was an interesting footnote in the article which alludes to the possibility of copper cent planchets being used in 2009 for circulation strikes. The Mint used copper planchets for proofs, but also used them in Philly and Denver for the Mint Sets sold to collectors. The Mint set issues have a satin finish whereas the circulation strikes do not.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Update: The 1983-D Copper Cent has been confirmed and attributed by none other than Ken Potter. It is featured in the current issue of Numismatic News. At the time of attribution, Jeff Young brought some other finds from circulation for attribution including the 3rd known example of a '66 DDR cent. The '66 specimen even in circulated condition is estimated to be worth more than a $1000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread