First ever CR hunt and Im very Pleased....

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So Today my $500 worth of halfs came in but before I went to go pick them up I decided to go do some detecting at a local park I have been hitting lately. Glad I did! I scored my first ever 14K Gold/Dimond ring.. So I've had food stuck in my teeth larger than this dimond? lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fast foward 5 hours later and Im sitting here at work (stationary engineer) going through my 1000 halfs and find 4 40%'s ('65 '68 and 2 '67's) digging into my last roll I wasnt expecting much but, as luck would have it right in the middle of the roll was 1958 franklin half dollar.. I think I did good. What do Ya'll think?

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would be smiling also finding that ring. Nice score and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome day... It's too cold for me to metal detect right now, but you are making me wanna get out there..

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!! Very good day for you!

Id take the gold, but the silver is awesome too! I found a ben today too... Actually not just any ben, but it was a bender!! 1954... first 90% ender ive found thus far

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Any day you find that many in one box is a good day indeed. Sincere congrats.

Rascal

OP
OP
A

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, This was my first ever box.. So what I'm gathering is that I was very fortunite to get these 5? And not to expect these results in the future? Also, is there anything other than silver I should be looking for? I read something about Proofs but, didnt really comprehend what the article was saying. Thanks

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proofs are easy to spot if you rim check... they are much thicker and usually very nice rims as well... they will have a mirror like finish, with a frosty looking face...

Yes you did good, I searched 8 boxes yesterday, and I only found 2 more 90% and 2 more 40% than you did with your 1 box... which my number is even good for me

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree that is a good box. I've had better and worse, but on average I score 1.2 - 1.3 silver coins per box.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a pretty good box. and a great hunt! gold, now there's something CRH may never get ya

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya 50, I stopped orders from the banks that were giving me the skunk and sons rolls, now im on the good stuff... although I lost 2 branches last week, only had 8 boxes this week... hopefully getting upto 12 this coming week, 2 each from 2 new branches.

HH

OP
OP
A

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Proofs are easy to spot if you rim check... they are much thicker and usually very nice rims as well... they will have a mirror like finish, with a frosty looking face...

Yes you did good, I searched 8 boxes yesterday, and I only found 2 more 90% and 2 more 40% than you did with your 1 box... which my number is even good for me

Thank you for explaining that, Now I will have to go thru the box again to check for the proofs.. I remember there being some really nice finishes with larger rims. so Im sure there was a couple in there.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
andre1002 said:
Thank you for explaining that, Now I will have to go thru the box again to check for the proofs.. I remember there being some really nice finishes with larger rims. so Im sure there was a couple in there.

The slightly frustrating part when looking for proofs is that some D and P mint halves are as thick as proofs, yet since they don't have the mirror finish and the S mint mark they're not proofs. You get a bit excited then suddenly realize they're normal coins.

From what I've seen this is most prevalent on coins starting in the mid 90's, although it has has happened since the 70's. Some 2000's are especially thin, it's strange the variances you find.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah I did forget, the S mintmark does signify that it is actually a proof coin...

The real thin ones I see all the time are 1996, and less common 1995,1997,1998

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah I did forget, the S mintmark does signify that it is actually a proof coin...

The real thin ones I see all the time are 1996, and less common 1995,1997,1998

I have noticed that too.. I always wanna put them aside since they are in such phenomenal condition..

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shazaam!!! Nice finds, keep it up. Don't think your beginners luck will last though wahahaha!!!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, This was my first ever box.. So what I'm gathering is that I was very fortunite to get these 5? And not to expect these results in the future? Also, is there anything other than silver I should be looking for? I read something about Proofs but, didnt really comprehend what the article was saying. Thanks

I think you'll be hard-pressed to keep up a 5-per-box average, but you never know. Just to compare, my first 11 boxes produced 1 40%er total.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Today my $500 worth of halfs came in but before I went to go pick them up I decided to go do some detecting at a local park I have been hitting lately. Glad I did! I scored my first ever 14K Gold/Dimond ring.. So I've had food stuck in my teeth larger than this dimond? lol

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/14kring.jpg/

Fast foward 5 hours later and Im sitting here at work (stationary engineer) going through my 1000 halfs and find 4 40%'s ('65 '68 and 2 '67's) digging into my last roll I wasnt expecting much but, as luck would have it right in the middle of the roll was 1958 franklin half dollar.. I think I did good. What do Ya'll think?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/halfs.jpg/

Awesome dicovery!!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice I love it when that last roll has silver. The 1st roll gives false hope most of the time.When i find one in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread