Box today had an interesting 90%er...

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Because my bankroll is fairly small I only pick up a box of halves at a time, even though my pick up bank orders me 3 or 4 at a time (they've told me they are ok with keeping them in their vault). So I got my 3rd box today and went through it and found an interesting keeper, a 90% Dale Earnhart 'The intimidator' half. It's actually a '51 Franklin with the Earnhart sticker on the obverse. I thought it was a pretty funny find so I wanted to post about it with pics (below). There was also a nice looking 42 Walker in the box. Decent results from 2 of 3 boxes this week.

Box 1: 64(2), 68
Box 2: Skunk
Box 3: 42, 51, 68

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul... Love the Nascar coin.. I got an Obama one this week.. Made me chuckle..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice take there Bblair, I can't believe someone would throw that one back, lucky for you they did! HH, Maverick.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul... Love the Nascar coin.. I got an Obama one this week.. Made me chuckle..
Me too.
Hey bblair, I'll trade my Obama half for your Nascar half in a heart-beat, let me know. lol.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last 3 weeks i found about 80 coins like that all diff.. ones i will post pic...

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I think CRHSW was the one who said he throws all his Obama halves into a fire. I would just tumble mine. I tried tumbling a gold plated penny (yes, it was British) to see if the gold would come off. It partially did after the first tumble,, but then it almost like replated itself after the second one.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dale is just Ben's alternate personality! Nice find bb! I have 24.50 in gold plated halves from 3 boxes I just searched, and some of them have yankees players on them, but none are silver. Very funny to see that on a silver half. Much luck to you!

OP
OP
bblair

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Me too.
Hey bblair, I'll trade my Obama half for your Nascar half in a heart-beat, let me know. lol.

Ha! No thanks, Agme! I found an Obama a few weeks ago and my wife gave it to a friend who is a big Obama supporter. Funny thing is most of those stickers are on clad, Dale was on a Ben. I saw the edge first then dropped it on the table saw Dale and was confused and thought someone was playing a trick, flipped it over and saw the Liberty Bell. Guess that NASCAR fan didn't know about 90% sliver coins!

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize it was on a Ben.. What a horrible way to deface the coin.. Lol.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul, bblair! I've never seen a stamped pre 1964 half dollar on here before, thanks for sharing!
hh
buff

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! No thanks, Agme! I found an Obama a few weeks ago and my wife gave it to a friend who is a big Obama supporter. Funny thing is most of those stickers are on clad, Dale was on a Ben. I saw the edge first then dropped it on the table saw Dale and was confused and thought someone was playing a trick, flipped it over and saw the Liberty Bell. Guess that NASCAR fan didn't know about 90% sliver coins!
Or he had tremendous respect for Dale Sr. Or a lack of respect for Ben.

Last edited:

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i want that half now. dale earnhardt is my favorite nascar driver. nice find.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
The person who defaced ben, was seriously messed up. There is no logical explanation for this in the entire world, I've truely seen everything in the world of coin roll hunting.

Dale is just Ben's alternate personality!

WRONG,
From Wikipedia- The Free Encyclopedia Earnhardt would not be persuaded to give up his dream of racing, dropping out of school to race.
They didn't call him doctor franklin for nuthin, I dont see dr dale anywhere. You cant find two more polar opposites than Ben and Dale.

DaleEarnhardtribute.jpg

It leaves the only question left, Why? I bet he writes letters every single day, asking for the Mint to change the design of the half dollar to have a portrait of Dale Earnhardt on it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread