Modest supply, decent return, and a question about Eisenhowers

Caphck

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit up about 20 banks over the last two days (some nice clusters where I live and work). Only got about $139 total from all the banks but all CWR and some lose ones from trays. Skunked on almost all of them. One bank where I went they only had one roll but the teller said "darn, I was saving that one", but she was very nice about it. Ended up producing 2 40%. Hit my dump bank, they are nice enough to have their trays out in the open and staring me in the face right at the top of the tray was an obvious silver half, bought it and was happy to see it was a '64 90%.

Now my question, I also picked up a non-silver Eisenhower on this trip. Are these worth keeping?

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit up about 20 banks over the last two days (some nice clusters where I live and work). Only got about $139 total from all the banks but all CWR and some lose ones from trays. Skunked on almost all of them. One bank where I went they only had one roll but the teller said "darn, I was saving that one", but she was very nice about it. Ended up producing 2 40%. Hit my dump bank, they are nice enough to have their trays out in the open and staring me in the face right at the top of the tray was an obvious silver half, bought it and was happy to see it was a '64 90%.

Now my question, I also picked up a non-silver Eisenhower on this trip. Are these worth keeping?

No, but check for any varieties.

The Ike Group | The Eisenhower Dollar information source (look under the varieties tab)

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would disagree with Sag on Ikes.. I wait until I accumulate 100 in clad ikes and then place them up for sale on ebay.. I will normally make a 20 dollar profit after fees, but there is a post office directly around the corner from my house, so it is very easy for me. It all depends on whether it is worth it for you to re-sell them.. Some people would rather not go through the trouble of tying up money and selling them for such a small profit online..

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would disagree with Sag on Ikes.. I wait until I accumulate 100 in clad ikes and then place them up for sale on ebay.. I will normally make a 20 dollar profit after fees, but there is a post office directly around the corner from my house, so it is very easy for me. It all depends on whether it is worth it for you to re-sell them.. Some people would rather not go through the trouble of tying up money and selling them for such a small profit online..

That does work, but I was thinking whether it would be worth keeping one Ike, and waiting for 99 to come.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
come on think positive

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Its funner to spend ikes than it is to make a $20 profit- time. The reactions you get, the stories you tell, will last a life time.

OP
OP
C

Caphck

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the advice on Eisenhowers, I only have 5 of them so will probably just keep them as I like the big currency coins.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell them to my co-worker for $1 ea. He spends them as tips when vacationing in Jamaica w/family every year...the locals love 'em.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought my son an Ike Book at a garage sale for $.25. I pick them up when I find them, and he is keeping the doubles to use as traders to fill in the holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread