Geniuses that educate tellers....

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
Well,
this has been going on for a while, but today was the last straw. I used to have 4-6 banks that constantly produced AG. Today, they are all gone. Know why? Because all of them said someone came in and asked for halves and then proceded to "educate" the teller(s) or vault teller. Now when I ask, I always hear them say they have none and that they save them and take them home. Wow!
I used to be able to walk in almost any bank around here and ask and receive good results. Now, there is almost nothing. So for all those people that say educating the tellers is smart, you will not have those producers for long.....I assure you. People listen and act. So, do what you like, but I guarantee you will eventually lose your "producers" if you educate your tellers.

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only share info with those that know info. There's a bank that will order me boxes but talk about the finds they get when people bring them in. I always offer to buy but I don't expect them to give anything to me anymore. If they bring up silver, I talk about it. If they don't, I don't.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do what you like. My thought is to be as ignorant as possible, never admit anything. I tell people that Nixon seized all the silver coins in the 70s and I look for errors and mistrikes. Love is a battlefield. HH

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I always say this to tellers if they ask what I'm looking for "Error marks, chipped coins, mis-stamps, old ones, and believe it or not, I've even found foreign coins" Usual response "wow, really?"

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most if not all of the vault tellers in my area know exactly what I am doing, and they still hand me silver. Some just don't care.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored:
That's a bit harsh don't you think? Anyone who CRH's knows this isnt a get rich quick scheme. I pocketed $300 + in ag today, but over the past 2-3 months maybe saw $50, TOTAL. Factor in gas, time, wrappers, shorted rolls etc and I'm in the hole bigtime! This is a labor of love and takes a ton of patience. Encourage people to give it a try, I guarantee most will quit after their first 5 boxes of dimes/halves are all skunk!

Last edited by a moderator:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Most if not all of the vault tellers in my area know exactly what I am doing, and they still hand me silver. Some just don't care.

+ 1, same here Namtser.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only share my finds if the teller knows about silver and asks what i have been finding, even then, i bend the truth a little bit to them ;)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
It takes only one person out of hundreds to educate a teller. I've had people behind me in a teller line pipe up and say "ya lookin fer silver?"

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had people behind me in a teller line pipe up and say "ya lookin fer silver?"

Can't tell ya how many times that has happened to me as the teller is giving me my boxes, I say I'm a vendor and need the coins for my game machines, usually that ends it. HH, Maverick.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was once asked why, and told them I wanted some pretty ones for my kids, which was true, of course. I didn't elaborate as to what "pretty" meant. I did keep some uncirculated halves, though and they are certainly pretty.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say I am friends with a lot of the tellers at my supply and dump banks.I have talked with 1 or 2 about what i am doing when they ask what am I looking for (they know). One that I talked to about silver and talked to her about the economy the dollar value ect., has always given me silver for face. Some don't and never have we still talk about what we find and how pickins are slim, they are snippin tellers always have been always will be.
I know if I was a teller I would be snippin the silver and telling all the coin roll hunters that some guy just come yesterday with some funny looking ones with ladys on them and the guy that just walked out the door bought them all 20.00 worth. Dont hate the players hate the game.
cooper36

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a bit harsh don't you think? Anyone who CRH's knows this isnt a get rich quick scheme. I pocketed $300 + in ag today, but over the past 2-3 months maybe saw $50, TOTAL. Factor in gas, time, wrappers, shorted rolls etc and I'm in the hole bigtime! This is a labor of love and takes a ton of patience. Encourage people to give it a try, I guarantee most will quit after their first 5 boxes of dimes/halves are all skunk!
Yup, it probably was too harsh...I guess I just lost it. it's understandable when somebody complains about somebody else's behavior that's identical to their own. I know people that were quietly making good money doing CRH, several years ago. Thats's QUIETLY. It didn't last simply because people started bragging, on the 'net about their finds. Since this type of hunting requires few skills, the entry barriers are low. So now you have tens of thousands of people doing it, and soon nobody will be finding anything at all. I don't care, since I don't do it. But now and then I lose it over hypocritical behavior. If I offended anybody. I'm sorry. But no guarantee I won't lose it again, given the proper motivation.
Jim

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Seems odd that people want to keep this hobby a secret yet post regularly about what they find, how much they made today, post pictures and go in detail about how they do it.

I agree with posters who say it takes a huge amount of patience and most who try it give up quickly. I am not concerned for this very reason.

When tellers ask me what I do with the coins, I tell them exactly what I am looking for. They want to drive around with 9K in their vehicle like I do on dump day, have fun. I do not go into any details about how to do it and all the other 100's of things you need to know but I am not one of the, ...."uh, it's for my kids" guys.

MU

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, and the, "yer know der's silver in dem coins" really loud and ubnoxous
It takes only one person out of hundreds to educate a teller. I've had people behind me in a teller line pipe up and say "ya lookin fer silver?"

OP
OP
S

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
The difference..

Let me clarify......I am not talking about boxes. Boxes are "work". No question about that. If people want to try boxes, more power to them. Yes, the noob will usually give up quickly as the boxes are not even close to what they once were. And gas is more on top of that. Find a 40 only to lose $3.50 on gas to dump for a net financial loss is going to lose players quick. More cost effective to buy from your favorite coin shop.

What I am talking about is tray finds. They used to be somewhat productive. Now, the tellers will show me what they have found, but are unwilling to let it go.

On the funny side of this though, I had a teller explain to me that Ag Kennedys are worth about $550. each and that she was keeping them for herself. She said she had thousands of dollars worth at home........I had to kind of snicker....wonder how many she had..... 2? :laughing7:

I guess I need to have my AG coins reappraised...could be sitting on triillions! :tongue3:

Last edited:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha! Since she was sharing her knowledge on the value of Ag Kennedys, you should have shared your knowledge too. Either whip out your trusty smart phone and show her the real value of her coins on the trusty coinflation app, or just let her in on the secret that the "gold" presidential dollars do have gold in them and the reason the government is stopping minting them is because they are all actually worth $100 each. hahahahahahahahahahaha

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I had a teller explain to me that Ag Kennedys are worth about $550. each and that she was keeping them for herself. She said she had thousands of dollars worth at home........

Polish some '67 Kens on the buffing wheel at home and show her that you found some rare silver Kennedys that look like they came straight from the mint. Then, be a hero and sell to her for $0.10 on the $1 ($55ea).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread