Silver that looks clad when edge hunting?

mtk76

Jan 9, 2013
3rd District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 50$ in wrapped halves that looked and were marked like dumps. Didn't really want them after seeing that but took them anyway and was rewarded with 1 dirty 68 that looked clad cause all the luster was gone. I normally don't date check but did in this case or would have missed it. Any idea how common clad looking silver haves are? Am I missing a lot by usually only edge checking?

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are edge checking, do a sound check afterwards.. you will most likely not ever miss any, but you have to listen carefully.... Date checking takes way too long if you want to do any type of volume..

bigmike0377

Feb 8, 2013
I am new to it but I check all dates because I have several that I would have missed just by looking at the side.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
When you are edge checking, do a sound check afterwards.. you will most likely not ever miss any, but you have to listen carefully.... Date checking takes way too long if you want to do any type of volume..

+1, sound check never lies, just kinda sift them 1 by 1 real qwik bumping them into each other as you do, if there is Silver, you'll hear it for sure. HH, Maverick.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are likely missing a few. The "clad looking" 40%ers aren't common in my experience, but they are out there. Maybe 1 out of every 200 or so might have slipped by me had I been edge-checking only. But while on a road trip once, there was one bank that produced about 40 of these at one time. Missing 1 40%er a month wouldn't be the end of the world. Missing out on two complete rolls would have been horrible.

Learn the sound of silver clanking against other coins or even a table vs. the sound of clad doing the same. As the others have stated, the sound test never lies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread