GarouLadys Coin Log

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
GarouLady's Coin Log

Well I got my 2 boxes of nickels from my workplace. First box had 3 war nickels, 1944P, 1945P, 1943P, a 1938 buffalo nickel (I think. Couldn't tell if it was a 30's or 20's) and a 1998S frosted proof. The proof looks nice but it does have some circulation markings. I tried to get some dime boxes while taking my mom to her hair appointment but the bank said that I needed to special order them. I told them that I am not in town on certain days, consistantly, that this was just a spur of a moment. So that stunk but I am going to order my coins from now on from my workplace. At least I know when those come in and nicely more often than not, I am working that day so no additional gas fees. Now if I could only find a closer coin counting machine that doesn't charge. ::sighs::

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice nickel finds! I always find it odd how i can never find a bank willing to order for me in my hometown or towns nearby, but when I am out of area and decide to hit banks, the banks openly ask me if they can order me coins and how many i;d like, only for me to find out i am over an hour from home... best of luck to your searches,
hh
buff

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I got my 2 boxes of nickels from my workplace. First box had 3 war nickels, 1944P, 1945P, 1943P, a 1938 buffalo nickel (I think. Couldn't tell if it was a 30's or 20's) and a 1998S frosted proof. The proof looks nice but it does have some circulation markings. I tried to get some dime boxes while taking my mom to her hair appointment but the bank said that I needed to special order them. I told them that I am not in town on certain days, consistantly, that this was just a spur of a moment. So that stunk but I am going to order my coins from now on from my workplace. At least I know when those come in and nicely more often than not, I am working that day so no additional gas fees. Now if I could only find a closer coin counting machine that doesn't charge. ::sighs::

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Do you have a pic of the buffalo?

Great finds!

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats on the finds!! I think it's great that you can order boxes through work. Most people try to stop at banks going to and returning from work. But you have the ultimate plan by just getting them from work. Hope you much success!

HH

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a nice Nickel box there GL!, Did you get to the 2nd one yet? Ordering coins to your job must be way convenient for you, beats walking into the banks and having to ask thats for sure. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the second box and it was a big skunk-aroo. Nothing.No buffs, pre 1950's or anything. Bummer. I am interested in when my dime boxes come in from work because we normally get the clear plastic tube ones, so looking for silver should be easy. If there was no silver edge, I can set the whole roll to the side. Even better I can take it to a small branch of my pickup banks and they would take the rolls as deposit. I was seriously thinking about ordering one box of quarters but I wanted to see what I got in dimes. Hopefully silver. I pick them up at work on wednesday.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the second box and it was a big skunk-aroo. Nothing.No buffs, pre 1950's or anything. Bummer. I am interested in when my dime boxes come in from work because we normally get the clear plastic tube ones, so looking for silver should be easy. If there was no silver edge, I can set the whole roll to the side. Even better I can take it to a small branch of my pickup banks and they would take the rolls as deposit. I was seriously thinking about ordering one box of quarters but I wanted to see what I got in dimes. Hopefully silver. I pick them up at work on wednesday.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Quarters? -Ears perk up-
BEST OF LUCK GAROU! -Waves wand over head-
Good luck on dimes too ;-)
Wicka

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Garou, you should send an email off to coinstar and state you work at a grocery store, help maintain the machine, help customers out with it. Suggest they offer free-of-charge coin counting to all employee's commercially involved with these machines.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, newest finds via coinstar. I was working and I heard a coin being rejected again and again by the coinstar. I looked over my shoulder to see a kid about early 20's take a coin out of the reject slot.and he threw it away!!! In the brief second I saw it I knew it wasn't a penny, wrong color. Worse comes to worse I figured it was a canadian dime, so when it was slow, I opened the garbage and sitting on top was a 1964 dime! Jackpot! then later another girl was going through the coinstar and I went to cash out her slip and asked if she had a dime to round it up to a solid 18 dollars instead of 17.90. She gave me a dime and I noticed the color. It was another 1964!! Sweet! So in less than 2 hours I had made an additional 8 dollars tax free.

Only bad news was that my office manager didn't read my whole note and she ordered nickels instead of dimes. I told her that that was ok, coin was coin to me. I rather have the lighter dime boxes but I still have enough left over to get a box of dimes from a bank or credit union on my next day off.

Sincerely, Garoulady

2013 finds

3x war nickels
1x dated buffalo nickel
2x rosies via coinstar
1x quarter
1x 1967-canadian dollar, half dollar, quarter and dime

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I finally picked up my 2 boxes of nickels from work and went through them. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck at all with Brink's boxes. Took me 4 hours to go through 2 boxes and didn't get anything. Nada! Zero!! No Buffs or War Nickels. I got maybe 20 pre 1950 nickels and some Canadian nickels but other than that. Nothing. How very depressing. I am hopeing to take my coins to dump on monday. Then i am going to my bank and see about withdrawing my Roth IRA. I rather that chunk of change to get more boxes than anything else. I mean in 6 years I only made 62 bucks. What a joke!

Sincerely,
Garoulady

Last edited:

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, newest finds via coinstar. I was working and I heard a coin being rejected again and again by the coinstar. I looked over my shoulder to see a kid about early 20's take a coin out of the reject slot.and he threw it away!!! In the brief second I saw it I knew it wasn't a penny, wrong color. Worse comes to worse I figured it was a canadian dime, so when it was slow, I opened the garbage and sitting on top was a 1964 dime! Jackpot! then later another girl was going through the coinstar and I went to cash out her slip and asked if she had a dime to round it up to a solid 18 dollars instead of 17.90. She gave me a dime and I noticed the color. It was another 1964!! Sweet! So in less than 2 hours I had made an additional 8 dollars tax free.

Only bad news was that my office manager didn't read my whole note and she ordered nickels instead of dimes. I told her that that was ok, coin was coin to me. I rather have the lighter dime boxes but I still have enough left over to get a box of dimes from a bank or credit union on my next day off.

Sincerely, Garoulady

2013 finds

3x war nickels
1x dated buffalo nickel
2x rosies via coinstar
1x quarter
1x 1967-canadian dollar, half dollar, quarter and dime

Sweet G-Lady! Two silver coins in 2 hours and for half of face value and while getting paid for working, hard to beat that:icon_thumleft:
People still spending silver coins is something but throwing away silver, unreal. Just goes to show you how the general public has no clue. And that is very good for us.
Keep your eyes (and ears) on that coinstar machine and make sure none of the good stuff makes it's way into the till.
Good luck.
agme

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
well tomorrow I am going to hopefully go to town, do some chores for my mom, get her prescriptions refilled and picked up then I am going to have some me-time. Going to dump some nickels at my credit union, pay a bill and then go buy some silver since on friday it was at 29 dollars an ounce. yeah!!

Sincerely, Garoulady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I cashed out my IRA from my bank. I asked about reinvesting in another IRA next year possible in silver or gold. The financial lady was very nice but she told me they needed a minimum of 10,000 dollars to invest in silver. OUCH! Well I might call my 401K and see about putting some of it into silver later in the month. I stopped at the LCS and bought 1.75 face value of quarters and asked them about what kinda deal they could give me if I bought 500 dollars worth. They said they could give me 20 times face value for junk instead of the normal 22 times and that's about it because they don't get a discount for ordering rounds. He said for 500 bucks I could get around 15 ounces of silver. (yeah right. I plan on calling around and doing more research) untill then, I am keeping my coin hunting moola hidden. Only my mom and brother know where it will be hidden in case of emergencies (surgery, car accident, etc). I did pick up a nice 1912 V nickel for a dollar, a 1970S frosted quarter for a dollar and a 1972S frosted quarter for a dollar. Not bad for some coin shop pickups.

Bad news - when I was at my bank I asked about dimes. They were sweet enough to sell me a box but when I got home and opened it up. ARRGH! it was almost all 2012D brand new dimes, phew what a skunk! Only one single roll was not brand new and it had some road rash on it and I opened it. Nothing. But at least I didn't have to drive too far to get it. I also paid 7 bucks to cash in almost 400 dollars worth of nickels at my one credit union. That kinda stunk but at least it wasn't as bad as paying 9 cent off each dollar from coinstar. I have another box of dimes coming in on wednesday so I am crossing my fingers. On the good side, at least they aren't as heavy as a box of nickels. yeah!

sincerely, Garoulady

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Garou,
Sorry to hear about the dimes,
Now out of curiosity. can you post pictures of the V-Nickel, and Quarters? Never seen a frosted quarter! :) And Never bought a V-Nickel for under $2 :(
Hope to hear your boxes, and luck with investing get better! Should try to just get invested by yourself instead of doing it through 401k and IRA? Sorry I'm 16, and don't understand investing too much.
Best of luck to you,
Wickaboag

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a good 401K that I put 6% of every check before taxes into and the neat thing is that my work matches between 30-50% of my contrabution. my dad's work didn't even do that. So far in 10 years of saving I have saved up 30,000 dollars. Not a whole lot but, like my dad use to say (god rest his soul) its better than a kick in the butt. I found out that because I was below 20,000 yearly income, if I put a 1000 dollars into an IRA, the next year for taxes I got 500 of that back taxwise. That's not bad. But for investing I prefer silver. Especially now that silver fell to 29 an ounce, I plan on seeing if I can put a peice of my 401K into bullion. It will be interesting to see what tuesday will bring silver at.

As for the frosted quarters I will try to post them via cellphone camera. they say frosted but they aren't frosted like I am use to. You get that frosted presidental face and a polished background, These ones are almost gold colored. But they are cool.

sincerely, Garoulady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry but I can't figure out how to load up my pictures from my samsung tracphone to my computer. I tried all the 'synch' programs and they just aren't working. Bummer, Now I really need to get a camera. I got old pictures from my dad's phone but not from my cellphone. I guess if my brother comes over maybe I can use his smartphone to upload the pictures.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread