One of those...once in a lifetime days

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a day off from work yesterday. I started it by driving around some smaller cities with a friend asking tellers for older coins, large dollars, halves, etc. No luck for three straight hours. This was our second road trip together, and we just haven't had the greatest success. On our first road trip, my friend found one 40% Kennedy from a teller tray and I found four 40% Kennedys in a scattering of MWR and boxes. To compensate for our lack of luck both trips, I dumped a lot of my junk boxes and converted back to cash. One of the $100 bills I received yesterday had the name "Liliana" written on the back, which will be of note later in the story. Then we went home.

That's when the real reason for the day off began. My wife had also taken off work because yesterday was one of those...once in a lifetime days. We were going in for her second ultrasound, looking at all the babies new developments, and most importantly finding out the sex of our first baby. On the way to the doctor I picked up an order of two boxes of halves. I got in an interesting discussion with the vault manager about babies, and I pointed out the $100 bill with the name "Liliana" on it because that was a name we were strongly considering if we had a girl. Was it a sign? "No," said the teller. "You're having a boy just like my son is back in Hong Kong." She handed me my boxes, and asked if I was finding what I was looking for. I told her I've been on a bit of a cold streak. Then she looks through the coins in her tray, pulls out a 40% Kennedy, and gives me it for face value..."for the baby."

Box one had six 40% Kennedys in it, which was a personal record for those. Box two was a skunk. A box of quarters I picked up along the adventure earlier in the day was a skunk too.

What am I forgetting?

Oh yes! The teller was right. We're having a boy! :headbang:

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need more then luck with your boy!! Nice

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the $100 bills I received yesterday had the name "Liliana" written on the back, which will be of note later in the story.

We were going in for her second ultrasound, looking at all the babies new developments, and most importantly finding out the sex of our first baby.

I got in an interesting discussion with the vault manager about babies, and I pointed out the $100 bill with the name "Liliana" on it because that was a name we were strongly considering if we had a girl. Was it a sign? "No," said the teller. "You're having a boy just like my son is back in Hong Kong."
Oh yes! The teller was right. We're having a boy! :headbang:

Ok.. I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but what if.... what if you both are right?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good story, almost brought a tear to my eye. Since the baby turned out to be a boy, and now you don't have a name; Name your boy Benjamin after Benjamin Franklin, arguably the greatest man in all of coinage. Or name him Curtis, after me, 50 cent

Tennessee Jeremy

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2012
Greeneville Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, whites spectrum XLT 1996 :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool story, GL with your silver hunting. I looked through 3000 half dollars and found nothing. I wish I could get access to them Coinstar machines, I bet people are spending coin collections on food these days

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread