Solid rolls of........

Caphck

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1977s.

I hit up a new bank, they told me they had $200 of MWR. I asked to see them as I have been seeing a lot of re-wrapped MWRs of late. I had not seen these wrappers before (I am somewhat of a newbie here) and they looked old and perhaps unwrapped. I decided to take them. Popped open first roll in car, all 1977s, decided to open up another $40, all 1977 as well. I am not sure if it is even worth opening the rest of the rolls.

Are these likely from a Fed branch as they are all the same date or based on the wrapping, any input on this would be appreciated.

Silver Rolls.jpg

Upvote 0

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably could not stop myself from opening them - those old wrappers are usually a good sign. You could check ebay and see if there is any demand for rolls of uncirculated '77 halves (assuming yours are uncirculated). If they are not worth any premium, just dump them and move on. Lots of clad halves come with the territory.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are new, I will try to make this as nice as I can. ALWAYS buy ALL of what you ask they have. ALWAYS search ALL that you get. Don't cherry pick at the bank. It is the surest way to get a teller to hate you and never have anything for you. If you don't search everything, how do you know if you missed anything?

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what you are going to find.. Open them and see what's in them. Also if I was you I would listen to any information the people on here try to give you they are very knowledgable and know their stuff when it comes to this..

OP
OP
C

Caphck

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilmington -

I did buy all of them and will search all of them as well, thanks for the advice it is much appreciated. So far I have bought all I ask for, I have not cherry picked, I guess my first post came out wrong when I said I would like to see the rolls. I was tempted not to buy them if they looked like re-wrapped MWRs but I will no longer entertain that thought.

Thanks.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would NOT buy rewrapped MWRs. Sorry to break the cardinal rule. Anymore thoughts on that?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, buying dumped MWRs is a waste of time, especially when it is a box of $500 or two boxes of $1000. While there's a small chance someone dumped less than $500 and the tellers added loaded rolls from other customers to make a complete box, you would have better odds asking at another bank or searching fresh boxes. But it's difficult to say when the amount is below $500. If it's $200 or less I would just buy it. You don't want to ask the tellers to examine the rolls or ask to examine them and reject some of them. Also, if you buy part of a dumped box they might not be able to ship it out to their vault.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed, their are exceptions.

Banks open in 1 hour.

It's my day off.

GAME ON!

OP
OP
C

Caphck

Greenie
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went through all of them, 400 1977s :-(

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found part of somebody's collection—just not the part you wanted ;-)

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
image-693555167.jpg

It is a hard call but, I always buy them all, I Just went a CWR hunt a few days ago to some banks, when I asked if they had any halves they said yes, how many do you want, my classic response, "I'll take them all" 2 different banks brought these 2 boxes out to me, my heart sank when I saw them but, I took them all. You never know what you are going to get, sometimes it's this crap, sometimes it's something good, either way, just take them all and get rid of what you don't want, they will be happy you did and you may get something good the next time! HH, Maverick.

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mav - from what I can see in the picture, some of those wrappers look old. I'd be excited to tear into them. Let us know how you do!

I bit the bullet the other day and cleared out $90 of my own dumped halves from a bank I dumped at several months ago - I've built a relationship there and need to "take all they have", starting with my own skunky clad.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A few weeks ago I picked up $540 that looked like dumps. Silly me didn't take the MWR re-wraps, about a box worth, but took all the brown paper wraps. They had writing on the sides - 1971, bicentennial, etc. On one wrapper it had 1971 - 73 and 1969 all scratched out. Sure enough the 1969 was in there. Another roll had another 1969, making two 40%'s that I pulled from them.

I had some small-timer splitting up depositing a $500 box between several banks in my area, so had been skunked on the CWR at that time. The reason that I bought them was that I was establishing a new pickup branch, and the vault teller called me saying that someone had just brought in. Being nice I got them out of the supply chain that I order boxes from. If I had the cash on me I would've gotten the rest.

Never underestimate showing consideration to your bank. A bit of good will can go a long way, and you might finds some good coins along the way.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to bring in some well worn silver certs to trade with a teller for silver halfs from her teller tray. Seems like an excellent trade to me!

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
I am going to bring in some well worn silver certs to trade with a teller for silver halfs from her teller tray. Seems like an excellent trade to me!

What are the silver certs worth currently?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread