Pennies Pennies Pennies

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennies 1.jpg pennies 2.jpg pennies 3.jpg

Can't we all just agree or agree to disagree that in modern vernacular penny and cent are synonymous?

The US Mint has no problem using the term penny....

U.S. Mint Online Product Catalog

Neither does the US Congress

Presidential $1 coin act of 2005 - "SEC. 304. NUMISMATIC PENNIES WITH THE SAME METALLIC CONTENT
AS THE 1909 PENNY."

Cent may be the proper term, but since colonial times it has been called the penny. The terms are interchangeable. Can we leave it at that?

Next someone on here is going to admonish the use of "dollar bill" and say no, it's "federal reserve note, it say's it right on it!"

Anyways, thats my two pennies.......

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Thanks for stating this. It does get a bit tiresome when time after time the "penny police" have to pull someone over and advise them of their violation.

I work in a School and trust me when I tell you there will never be a day where people will call pennies cents. In the Kindergarten rooms they teach them they are pennies and even have songs to help remind them they are pennies.

Would be great if the penny police here could bust in the room and bust out a cent song in front of the little tikes.

MU

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah right. Congress said something so it must be so. Last group to expect knowledge from.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although maybe 'zinclon" would be closer :tongue3:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Email sent to mint, expect it to be changed within 2-3 months, they've been pointed out before. Also, all of the pictures you've listed, are not official, and are simply printed by coinlok, garda, ect. The day the mint stamps "PENNY" on the reverse or even obverse of the cent, I'll say its correct. The word is cent, plane and simple; Imagine calling a half dollar a 50 penny piece, or a quarter a 25 penny piece. If this was an every-day discussion forum, I would not even care, but this is a coin forum, and I expect discussions of coins to be conducted on proper coinage terms, and since its a forum, it sets a good example for people who were mistaken in their usage.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Email sent to mint, expect it to be changed within 2-3 months, they've been pointed out before. Also, all of the pictures you've listed, are not official, and are simply printed by coinlok, garda, ect. The day the mint stamps "PENNY" on the reverse or even obverse of the cent, I'll say its correct. The word is cent, plane and simple; Imagine calling a half dollar a 50 penny piece, or a quarter a 25 penny piece. If this was an every-day discussion forum, I would not even care, but this is a coin forum, and I expect discussions of coins to be conducted on proper coinage terms, and since its a forum, it sets a good example for people who were mistaken in their usage.

tiniest_violin.gif

Images for Penny

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=JA8kUc3qILK20QGoqYCIBQ

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

there is no mistaken usage, this is a treasure hunting forum/site not a numismatic forum, it doesnt really matter what you expect, but you are a man on a mission.....contact the mint, contact the banks, contact congress, contact coinlock, contact garda, then contact the 99.9998% of this country that calls it a penny. see you again in 4,582 years.

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
The word is cent, plane and simple; Imagine calling a half dollar a 50 penny piece, or a quarter a 25 penny piece.

IMO the penny is the name for the coin and its value is one cent. Just like nickel, dime, and quarter are the names for the coins are each worth 5, 10, and 25 cents. But i guess we could debate it all night.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is a funny post. Both sides of the debate are correct. The American English language has influence and even whole words from other languages / countries: tortillas, ballet, buffet, and many more.

Let's break open some coin rolls and find some treasures.

HH

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm really looking for sag to chime in, he has some pretty good points as to why it is called a cent and not a penny.

The correct numismatic term for the US .01 piece, is cent, has always been cent. There is a ¢ sign, not a Penny sign. If you look at the reverse it says plain and simply "CENT" in all capital letters. I said it once and I'm saying it again', the UK uses the term 'Penny', and when stating it in conjunction (ie 1.53) One pound and 53 'Pence'. If it was called a penny, then why are we not using the add-on pence, is it not correct? I don't care if garda, coinlok, ect gets it wrong, I was referring to emailing the mint specifically. Canada followed the US and consequently calls their sub-denominations CENTS, and mexico, Centos.

ALSO, if we were talking about multiple coins, foreign coins, and what else not, CORRECTLY calling it CENT rather than PENNY helps to distinguish Which coin is Which; WHICH is particularly useful in a forum setting where people post more than one type of coin.

I blew your ship out of the water, your argument is null and void. I didn't start it, but as far as I'm concerned I finished it.
Battleship-1.jpg

g1117.jpg

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really looking for sag to chime in, he has some pretty good points as to why it is called a cent and not a penny.

The correct numismatic term for the US .01 piece, is cent, has always been cent. There is a ¢ sign, not a Penny sign. If you look at the reverse it says plain and simply "CENT" in all capital letters. I said it once and I'm saying it again', the UK uses the term 'Penny', and when stating it in conjunction (ie 1.53) One pound and 53 'Pence'. If it was called a penny, then why are we not using the add-on pence, is it not correct? I don't care if garda, coinlok, ect gets it wrong, I was referring to emailing the mint specifically. Canada followed the US and consequently calls their sub-denominations CENTS, and mexico, Centos.

ALSO, if we were talking about multiple coins, foreign coins, and what else not, CORRECTLY calling it CENT rather than PENNY helps to distinguish Which coin is Which; WHICH is particularly useful in a forum setting where people post more than one type of coin.

I blew your ship out of the water, your argument is null and void. I didn't start it, but as far as I'm concerned I finished it.

I don't even know what to say.....I thought there would be an intellectual debate, but my battleship is sunk so I guess not?

"Cent may be the proper term, but since colonial times it has been called the penny. The terms are interchangeable. Can we leave it at that?" I started this thread by clearly admitting that cent was the proper term. WE ALL GET IT. Noboby (ouside of a very few) call's it that. PERIOD. If you want to, go for it. I just feel that it comes off as a bit condescending when some on here correct others when the term penny is a clearly acceptable term.

You can keep score all you want. I know you really want to be declared champion of this internet chat, unfortunatly there is no right or wrong answer, no black and white. I'm gonna stay right here in the grey, give it a try some time.

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't even know what to say.....I thought there would be an intellectual debate, but my battleship is sunk so I guess not?

"Cent may be the proper term, but since colonial times it has been called the penny. The terms are interchangeable. Can we leave it at that?" I started this thread by clearly admitting that cent was the proper term. WE ALL GET IT. Noboby (ouside of a very few) call's it that. PERIOD. If you want to, go for it. I just feel that it comes off as a bit condescending when some on here correct others when the term penny is a clearly acceptable term.

You can keep score all you want. I know you really want to be declared champion of this internet chat, unfortunatly there is no right or wrong answer, no black and white. I'm gonna stay right here in the grey, give it a try some time.
Whoops, I skimmed over that part, that you admitted it was the 'proper term' sorry :S. But, I still would state, the terms may be interchangeable in real life, and I sometimes do call it a penny in real life; when discussing coins on a forum, we should strive to keep things numismatically accurate.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the British have the same argument over a penny vs novus denarius.

Just my 2 cents. Penny for your thoughts?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Some Mexicans call the dollar a peso. That is not correct. I can't say much more than 50, he said all I could say.

If I repeat something a trillion times, it will not be correct.

With regard to Brinks and the other coin couriers, they are private companies. I can create a business and call Obama "King" in business documents. Is that correct; not yet (hopefully never). The OP's argument with citing Congress is that it is governmental, so it must be official. I doubt those Congressmen have any knowledge on this complicated issue, when they can't seem to grasp the simple issue of obeying their oath and Constitution.

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when discussing coins on a forum, we should strive to keep things numismatically accurate.

Why? Semantics are only helpful for avoiding ambiguity or confusion. Penny vs. cent does neither. Everyone knows what it means, there's no way you'll get everyone on here to use the technical term, and pestering people over it gets annoying.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Hey guys I have an idea!!! Lets just call it a penny or a cent! Because in the end it doesn't matter. It's still the same thing penny or a cent (whatever you call it.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread