Bank questions

Adjove

Feb 15, 2013
At my bank I've been with for ten years or more, I have a box of halves coming in. It's my first and bank teller ,whom I have a great relationship, has said nothing of others buying halves and no implications of such either. All previous boxes (not halves were from brinks.

1. Does this help be only one checking halves at a bank?

2. Will brinks supply my bank with previously searched boxes?

3. If bank doesn't care and I'm not dumping there, should I order two boxes a week and only pick up one at a time, so I have one waiting. (Working on $500 budge, disabled veteran on fixed income)

Went to my CU today for 200 in dimes and 40 in nickels - 57,62 Roosevelt's, all nickels were 40's or newer (no silvers)

P.S. 4. Why are older non silver nickels valuable? I know about 50 d

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adjove

Adjove

Feb 15, 2013
So my box did not come in. Had my nephew with me today and we drove around while I showed him the art of crh'ing. We went to five banks and ended up with:

$4 in loose halves
$50 in brown cwr
$200 in Brinks
And approximately $25 in small newer gold dollars

Immediately when the first teller handed me the eight loose ones I seem a keeper. She even said thanks for taking them off her hands. I said thanks and tried not to smile too much. Further inspection back at the truck revealed two out of eight keepers. Both were 40%

It was a nicer day out than it has been around here so after pulling in the drive we started going through the coins we did get. I guided my nephew to open the folded brown rolls. (these had pen marks on them and I believed they would not produce)
I told him to tell me if he found any 1960's. On his last roll of the five he found eleven silver. I couldn't believe it. I always dismissed the idea of getting a solid roll of silver, but today me and the nephew got pretty close.

I found one out of the two hundred in brinks wrapped rolls.

Totals - three 90% Eleven 40%

Attachments

• image-3989766548.jpg
    image-3989766548.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 95

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are mainly dealing with one bank i would just talk to them about if they think ordering extra boxes is too much. It varies widely on their vault space available, don't want them tripping over boxes, but some places have very large vaults and don't seem to mind at all. You may want to do them a favor if you can and locate another bank to dump at though, something that has a counter and can give you instant cash to take back to buy more halves. Be VERY careful though if you are making several trips a day or week, you may wear out your welcome or burn yourself out in the process. Be very cautious when starting out as you can get excited and end up informing the tellers of what you are doing, don't act shady by any means though hehe, if you educate them on what you find you will not find much anymore unless it is in boxes from Brinks, Loomis, etc....

HH, and welcome to the hobby =)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adjove

Adjove

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks Twiasp, my halves not coming in we're a blessing in disguise. This was by far my best score yet. It's warming up here now and it's almost time to find some quality not quantity. Happy huntin, ADJOVE

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice, it's allways nice to find it in CWR's, way less to dump and that is the part I hate ( and pretty much everyone else) of this hobby. So I take it you are an MDer, if your waiting to get the Quality not Quantity? I enjoy that too, when we get time to. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Adjove

Adjove

Feb 15, 2013
Very nice, it's allways nice to find it in CWR's, way less to dump and that is the part I hate ( and pretty much everyone else) of this hobby. So I take it you are an MDer, if your waiting to get the Quality not Quantity? I enjoy that too, when we get time to. HH, Maverick.

When I asked her for halves she said she had only two left. I said I would take them both but wasn't too thrilled because the markings indicated they had been searched. She came back out of the vault with five rolls and said this is all of them. One roll was all 1981 and was clearly written in pen they were. That s what made the find even better, as it was so unsuspected. MD'ing is what got me interested, kinda like a gateway drug, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread