Kennedy Hunt

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my first time posting on this site...since I found it today ;) I have been searching for kennedy's a lot lately and like MANY of you just started ordering them from my local bank. Got my first order in last week, $2000 worth...NOTHING FOUND. Got $1000/$2000 today and NOTHING in those (2) $500 boxes...hoping for better luck tomorrow with my second batch of (2) $500 boxes. Im not discouraged though and told my bank to up my order to $4000 a week, LOL. I have been Dime roll hunting for the past 2-3 months and so far have found 102 silver dimes...got one roll of ALL 1955D's...needless to say I bought every single roll of nickels dimes and quarters they had in their vault, resulted in (3) war nickels.

My question for all you kennedy hunters is what is the average? Would you say 1 40%er in every 2 boxes or so? From what I have been reading that seems to be about right. Oh...and my bank gets their coins from the Atlanta Fed...just an FYI. Are any of you getting your Kennedys from the ATL fed and if so, are you having better luck them my ZERO out of 6 boxes?

Upvote 0

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't uncommon to find streaks of boxes with nothing, some on here have had fairly long skunk streaks. Ride out the dry spell and if it gets too long you could always try ordering from another company like Brinks, Loomis, Garda...... I personally don't keep track of my per box silvers, I just look at it as fun when i find them =)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess the "average" is about 1 keeper per box. But with halves, average is misleading. A majority of half boxes are skunks. Its those boxes that have several keepers that ups the average. If I remember correctly, my first 11 boxes produced a lone 40%er. Box #12 had 22 silvers. The next 8 or so were all skunks. My "average" was a little better than 1 per box, but 18 of 20 boxes were skunks. So what I'm basically saying is to expect mostly skunks, but hope for an occasional good box.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only found one bank that is willing to order Kennedy's for me...BB&T. I went to our local credit union first, they are my dump bank, opened an account with Wells Fargo since they SAID they would order them but after three weeks changed their minds and would not order any...I dont think many of the banks are willing to order them so the ones I am getting through BB&T will have to do for now. If I dont find any after about a month or so, I plan to try another bank.

On the plus side...I have had really good luck going through MEMBER dime rolls at my credit union and usually pull 1 silver dime per $100 in rolls

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I am kind of hoping that eventually they will keep digging down in their piles of Kennedys and eventually get to the good boxes...Im just hoping my credit union doesnt freak out to bad when I start dumping $4000 in Kennedys on them a week!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am kind of hoping that eventually they will keep digging down in their piles of Kennedys and eventually get to the good boxes...Im just hoping my credit union doesnt freak out to bad when I start dumping $4000 in Kennedys on them a week!

Good luck with that. You might get away with that forever. They may cut you off after the first time. I once lost a dump bank over $500 a week after a couple of months. You just never know.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
They already cut me off taking dime rolls from 4 of their credit unions and dumping them in a 5th. I mark all my rolls...to make sure I dont go through the same roll twice. They now make me do one for one swaps....Although when the VP of accounts called me, I told her I would still be taking them Kennedy's and while she didnt like it, she also didnt like the fact that I was more than willing to transfer the $45K I have in their credit union over to a different bank! ;)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They already cut me off taking dime rolls from 4 of their credit unions and dumping them in a 5th. I mark all my rolls...to make sure I dont go through the same roll twice. They now make me do one for one swaps....Although when the VP of accounts called me, I told her I would still be taking them Kennedy's and while she didnt like it, she also didnt like the fact that I was more than willing to transfer the $45K I have in their credit union over to a different bank! ;)

Then you have some leverage. Maybe $45,000 is enough that you can dump at will. But, I had more than that in a CD at the bank that cut me off over the $500 per week.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Wells Fargo cut me off in ONE WEEK...and I only bought/sold $1000 in dimes with them...that is what I opened the account with...I wont be banking with them anytime in the future. I was going to complain, but they make it VERY hard to go up to corporate with any complaints.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Then you have some leverage. Maybe $45,000 is enough that you can dump at will. But, I had more than that in a CD at the bank that cut me off over the $500 per week.

After three months I got cut off from dumping halves at a small regional bank, and let's just say $45K isn't enough. They can still make a "business decision" to close your accounts.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
They wont just close them...I will get a phone call first. If I get called, I will just open an account wtih CB&T or BoA and dump there until I get cut-off again. I gotta put them someplace, I just dont want to dump them back on my source.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wont just close them...I will get a phone call first. If I get called, I will just open an account wtih CB&T or BoA and dump there until I get cut-off again. I gotta put them someplace, I just dont want to dump them back on my source.

I hope they let you dump at will. My posts were just an FYI so that you could have a backup plan ready if needed.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:

I got a letter in the mail from that regional bank that they were closing my accounts. No phone call, no indication that would happen when I was in the branch the same day that the letter was dated. I went in personally to talk to the manager and didn't get anywhere. They cut me a check and I took my money back to the CU.

For WF, only my local branches cut me off from dumping halves, another "business decision" though they told me it is for everyone not just me. And my account isn't flagged and I can still dump in other towns.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
my bank is a credit union...which last time I checked is "member owned" so...I have a feeling I wont get dumped and if I do...it wont be pretty...I am retired and have LOTS of TIME!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my first time posting on this site...since I found it today ;) I have been searching for kennedy's a lot lately and like MANY of you just started ordering them from my local bank. Got my first order in last week, $2000 worth...

Just some freindly advice, "Slow Down" ordering and dumping halves is a tricky game and takes a while of slowly building a relationship with the banks and slowly upping your orders, the same with dumping, start out dumping at a branch every couple of weeks instead of every week and then work you way up in a month or 2. It has taken me over a year of doing this to gt every bank comfortable my orders and dumps. The key to this hobby is flying under the radar for as long as possible. Good luck, Maverick.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been at it for a few months now with nickels dimes and quarters...either way its going to cost whatever bank you dump at to send them back to the fed

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been at it for a few months now with nickels dimes and quarters...either way its going to cost whatever bank you dump at to send them back to the fed

Again, I was just offering some friendly advice, Quarters Nickels and Dimes are common, special ordering halves isn't common for the banks, halves are a different game, order hard and heavy, dump hard and heavy, it's your game my friend. HH, Maverick.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:

They don't actually send the coin back to the Fed. They have a contract with a coin supplier like Brinks, Garda, Loomis, or Dunbar. The coin gets picked up by that company and brought back to the company's sorting facility to be sorted and packed in to rolls then boxes.

Some banks and credit unions have a contract for unlimited boxes picked up and delivered each month, others a set amount and any over the set amount is charged by box. Some smaller branches have a seemingly cheaper contract and are charged by box, so if we start ordering and / or dumping more boxes than they normally order or ship that might rock the boat and get attention.

My current two Credit Unions that I use have limits on amounts of coin that accept daily. The first is $100 per day and the other is $200 per day, and both don't accept rolled coin as they require you to use the coin counters. We are members of those Credit Unions, but they are usually stricter on rules that affect costs to the institution. Coin transport can be a large cost in fees as stipulated in their service contract, and that's why especially in larger populated areas the CUs can be quite restrictive to CRHers.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all for the advice...Floridaroller, my bank wants the change back in rolls for some reason, so I have to reroll all my coins :( Maverick, while I do appreciate your advice, I have already talked to the VP of Accounts at my credit union when they called me complaining because I was dumping everything at one location...we came up with a comprimise on the nickels, dimes and quarters. At that time, I informed them that I soon would be dumping more Kennedy's on them and while they were not happy...they didnt say I couldnt do it. I have a feeling my credit union has a small contract since they are 90%+ member rolls and I only rarely ever get any of their Loomis rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread