Arizona State Quarter Error

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On Monday I bought some loose halves, and the teller gave me 2 quarters in change. When I got out to the car, I looked at them and they were both Arizona quarters. Since she gave them to me out of a new clear plastic roll, so I went back in and bought the rest of the roll. She transferred them into a paper roll, and since they all looked MS condition I cringed thinking she might scuff them.

Finally checked them today, and found one of the extra cactus (top of the cactus and above the 20 in the date). In the photo the one on top is the error coin. I'm thinking of getting it certified by PCGS. Would it be worth it?

Attachments

• image-873749288.jpg
    image-873749288.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 10,495
Upvote 0

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that cool! I'd check ebay and see how much they go for, then determine if it'd be worth having it verified.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a cud. Check out the same coin at the large cactus (in the crook of the one arm), there is also something extra there.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
A quick Feebay search shows around $150 - $200 minimum for the certified ones.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaFinder said:
A quick Feebay search shows around $150 - $200 minimum for the certified ones.

I need to start looking for these as well. What other state quarter errors are out there? I'm aware of the extra corn frond, but wasn't aware of this one.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I need to start looking for these as well. What other state quarter errors are out there? I'm aware of the extra corn frond, but wasn't aware of this one.

Those are the only two that I know of off the top of my head. I've only searched a couple of quarter boxes, as I mainly search half dollars. I had done a google search a while back, and the Wisconsin & Arizona ones were the two that "everyone" was talking about. HH

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have found two of the Wisconsin errors. One upper leaf and one lower leaf. Both in boxes. Didn't KNOW about the arizona. Now I need to look for those TOO. :-)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I just looked on ebay. there are a LOT of them on the site for $0.99. One guy sold 120 of them so far at $1.55 with free shipping, and still has more left. (See his ad below) But it looks like they are not giving good value like the Wisconsin leaf errors. Take a look at ebay yourself. :-(

[h=1]2008 P Arizona State Quarter Error ~EXTRA CACTUS LEAF~[/h]

Sign in or register to save and
share this item.

Sign in or register to save and
share this item.

Item condition:
--

Quantity:
s.gif

8 available / 120 sold
Please enter a quantity of $qty_dummy$ or lessPlease enter a quantity of 1Purchases are limited to $qty_dummy$ per buyerPlease enter quantity of 1 or morePlease enter a lower numberChoose quantity that is less than $qty_dummy1$ or equal to $qty_dummy$You can only choose quantity that is equal to $qty_dummy$

Price:
US $1.55

fixxxer9

Jan 8, 2013
SLC, UT
Primary Interest:
Other

There is the Kansas "humpback" bison. I found one of those in my change last year. There is also the Kansas hoof mark on the bison's hind leg. There are also the Minnesota extra tree varieties. Those are the ones that I know of.

OP
OP
FloridaFinder

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I just looked on ebay. there are a LOT of them on the site for $0.99. One guy sold 120 of them so far at $1.55 with free shipping, and still has more left. (See his ad below) But it looks like they are not giving good value like the Wisconsin leaf errors. Take a look at ebay yourself. :-(

[h=1]2008 P Arizona State Quarter Error ~EXTRA CACTUS LEAF~[/h]

https://scgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....76f8aa:699a6f20-8cc9-11e2-8544-0050568f0478_0

Price:
US $1.55

Shame on me. I had looked it up on my eBay app on my phone when I in the car, and had mistyped the state. I just checked the history on the app and I had typed Wisconsin instead of Arizona. Apparently the Arizona one was more common. I guess I had Wisconsin on my mind when I looked it up yesterday.

Oh well, at least I found an error coin. Back to my halves boxes. HH

Last edited:

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got the Wisconsin extra leaf quarter back as change at a drive thru a few years ago. I cleaned it up and sold it on ePay for $140.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh my god, the top ones the error?!!!! I've thrown those back thinking they were regular! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dago1904

Aug 15, 2017
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fingers
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello all. My first post here. I got a roll of quarters for laundry, and halfway thru, I noticed they were (are) all 2008 P Arizona...BU quality, then looked at them, again because they have weird rays on the reverse. Some on the obverse, but a few of the "rayed reverse" have an extra "1" LEFT of the "1912".
I've searched and found nothing related on the web.
Any ideas? 20170815_162243.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. My first post here. I got a roll of quarters for laundry, and halfway thru, I noticed they were (are) all 2008 P Arizona...BU quality, then looked at them, again because they have weird rays on the reverse. Some on the obverse, but a few of the "rayed reverse" have an extra "1" LEFT of the "1912".
I've searched and found nothing related on the web.
Any ideas? View attachment 1483541
That appears to be just some streaks, probably due to grease on the die.

Dago1904

Aug 15, 2017
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fingers
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That appears to be just some streaks, probably due to grease on the die.

That's what I figured. I've a few that have the rays both obverse and reverse. Doesn't that add any value?

Do cuds and die cracks add value to a coin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread