Friday is gonna be a $1000 BUY day....what to buy?

DrawkcaB

Mar 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Good evening, and glad to see you're looking to get a large volume running,
My suggestions would be:
Half Dollars: AS MANY AS THEY HAVE!
Dimes: AS MANY AS THEY HAVE!
Then go to Nickels, pennies quarters.
Always ask for old/odd coins, and dollar coins :-)
wicka

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try to get 4 boxes of dimes. Odds seem like that would produce more. At least in my neck of the woods.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
halves and old odd coins first, then dimes then nickles then pennies then quarters.

In that order

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves, they are the easiest and fastest to search and the easiest and fastest to dump. Open the roll, check the sides, rap em up in the same roll, rinse and repeat. Halves all day!

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to me that every area of the country is slightly different. You have to figure out what's best for your area. I have had a lot of success with halves since I started on Jan 30th. I've seen people posting that they have a terrible time with halves in their area and they do dimes. Others have great success with nickels. Personally, I would start with two boxes of halves and see what you get. Then go from there.

OP
OP
DrawkcaB

DrawkcaB

Mar 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennies! that would be 40 boxes!
Hell Today all they had or would allow me to get was EITHER $10 ROLLED CENTS OR a NEW BRINKS BOX of pennies for $25..... Thursday's I allow my 12 yr old to get some small cents....
Can't wait to ask for a bunch tomorrow at another bank

OP
OP
DrawkcaB

DrawkcaB

Mar 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that every area of the country is slightly different. You have to figure out what's best for your area. I have had a lot of success with halves since I started on Jan 30th. I've seen people posting that they have a terrible time with halves in their area and they do dimes. Others have great success with nickels. Personally, I would start with two boxes of halves and see what you get. Then go from there.
Don't get me wrong, but you guys talk about "HALVES" like they are common. Here in NorthEast Ohio, when I ask for Halves, they look at me like I just came from 1975 or something. One teller actually told me they haven't received Halves in years....... We have 6 banks within our town, all within a mile, and I have bought $40 in halves ONCE........and pulled (1) 1964

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you previously ordered it, the chances of a large amount of halves sitting around is low. Most have $50 or less on average. Most banks will sell you 1 MAYBE 2 boxes of dimes, and the same goes for other coin denominations. I doubt you walk out of a bank with $1000 in change unless they jusst got a ton of CRW's or its a very big bank with a high volume of business customers that keeps alot of coin on hand.

archertiger3

Feb 25, 2013
KS
Primary Interest:
Other
this is what happens at some banks in my area:
Me "Do you have any half dollars?"
Teller "We don't carry those anymore."

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get me wrong, but you guys talk about "HALVES" like they are common. Here in NorthEast Ohio, when I ask for Halves, they look at me like I just came from 1975 or something. One teller actually told me they haven't received Halves in years....... We have 6 banks within our town, all within a mile, and I have bought $40 in halves ONCE........and pulled (1) 1964

I think you are seeing why the finds posted on here are far less common than what people find in reality. people don't usually post about skunks.

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had NO LUCK with halves...over $10K and counting...got 5 nice silver and a good 2009P out of a $250 brick of dimes today...I would buy all dimes after you get any halves they may have...then search the halves in the parking lot and buy more dimes! Oh wait...I shouldnt tell you that, LOL...buy all cents and nickels, J/K

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Do any of your banks order you large cents? You can call them cents, just not pennies. No need for small cents.

Mine do, just pulled a 1793 vines and bars large cent from one of the rolls :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread