Upvote 0

jamesg13

Jan 7, 2013
The Outskirts
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually try to jam the machine a few times and wait for an inexperienced teller to come help, after they hand me the coins that were on top I always make my money back :laughing9:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually try to jam the machine a few times and wait for an inexperienced teller to come help, after they hand me the coins that were on top I always make my money back :laughing9:

How do you "jam" the machine?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You didn't say how much you were dumping, but I would say $4.50 is just the price you're gonna pay for playing the game. Many people that use the machines get shorted every week, if you say something, and you happen to be there dumping oh I don't know, lets say, $1000.00 in coins, I wouldn't want the attention on the fact that I'm there dumping large amounts of coin in the machine. I would just let it go if you are dumping big in their machine. HH, Maverick.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recommendation is "Stay quiet and Deal with it." I have been shorted over 50 dollars numerous times (Sometimes much more) and even after complaining, have not once received my money back from the bank.. I know for a fact others on this forum have been shorted hundreds of dollars and never received the money back either.. If it continues to happen, you should try to use other options (Different machines or re-wrapping) but honestly it is just part of the game that you will have to deal with.. When I dump my dimes, i just expect it to be short 5 dollars.. That is the norm for me.. Machines are not perfect and if you want to continue this hobby and keep good relationships with your banks, it is just better to keep your fake smile on and thank them numerous times for the amazing service...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Deal with it, or switch dump banks. Arguing with them won't do you or the hobby any good.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes you are shorted, sometimes you get extra. It all ends up even over time.

Don't make a "name" for yourself at your dump banks as "the complainer" or it will be a short lived hobby for you.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the hit like a real man... I've taken several $20+ hits before, it hurts for sure, but is not worth losing a dump bank.
hh
buff

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I go through a 250$ box of dimes & find 3 silvers [a 6 -7$ value, then im shorted 10$ in a dump ? thats ok.....-NOT , But I guess if you really love CRH it may be worth it ."to each his own"

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people are crazy. Take it, the bank is not just ripping off this guy they are ripping everyone off. If it happens often I would buy hundred dollars in dimes from them. Tell them I think the machine is messing up. I will put the dimes in if it miss counts can you get the machine ajusted. Don't be an a whole to them. They probably do not what to rip people off but most people do not know how much change is in the jar and just accept the amount on the machine.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people are crazy. Take it, the bank is not just ripping off this guy they are ripping everyone off. If it happens often I would buy hundred dollars in dimes from them. Tell them I think the machine is messing up. I will put the dimes in if it miss counts can you get the machine ajusted. Don't be an a whole to them. They probably do not what to rip people off but most people do not know how much change is in the jar and just accept the amount on the machine.

Most machines are accurate. Yes you are right, most people don't know how much change is in that jar, and when you say "I know there was exactly $1000 in dimes in that bucket" you sir are tipping your hand at being a CRH - for what it's worth - banks with counting machines tend to not care for CRH's if you havent noticed.

Crbattery

Feb 15, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
Other
Last week i dumped $50 in dimes and $150? in pennies. The teller brings me the slip and it only counted $21? in dimes. I told them I thought that a little weird because I knew how much was in the pail. She shrugs her shoulders like whatever.
Later that same day I bring $50 in dimes still rolled and tell them we are going to do a little test. This time its my favorite teller and she says sure no problem. I open all the rolls right in front of her and edge searched them quick. Found 1 Silver!! Anyways we run a known $49.90 through their counter and it comes back as $24.20

We have a big problem.

In the end they thank me for bringing their broken counter to their attention and me when they get their new counter they will re run the dimes and reimburse me the difference from what the machine said was in the bag to what the new counter says. I told her I only wanted $28 cause I am sure others were shorted besides me.

I bought my own counter now so I know what I am bringing in.

I tested the counter at another branch of the same CU last weekend and everything checked out perfect.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I go through a 250$ box of dimes & find 3 silvers [a 6 -7$ value, then im shorted 10$ in a dump ? thats ok.....-NOT , But I guess if you really love CRH it may be worth it ."to each his own"

It doesn't happen often. With time and experience I have come to realize what a good dump bank is worth, and if it comes down to it its not potentially worth losing one over $5-10. $50? yeah I would ask a teller. $2? I'd spend more in gas driving to a dump bank further from my house. So to answer your questing, yes if you really love CRH, and your dump banks, its a small price to pay in the long haul.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe777Cool said:
Most machines are accurate. Yes you are right, most people don't know how much change is in that jar, and when you say "I know there was exactly $1000 in dimes in that bucket" you sir are tipping your hand at being a CRH - for what it's worth - banks with counting machines tend to not care for CRH's if you havent noticed.

I guess you are just going to take it then and so is every other customer with random bags or jars. I am going to buy a 100 in dimes from them and demonstrate the problem to the people at the bank. If that means they get bent out of shape I know to get out of that bank anyways

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Deal with it, or switch dump banks. Arguing with them won't do you or the hobby any good.

I'm going to back off on my original statement, and say that first you should be sure that it's really ripping you off. Being shorted a buck here or $4.50 there really isn't that big of a deal, depending on how much you're dumping, and how sure you are that your totals are correct. Personally, I don't count pennies or dimes as I'm going through them (I do count halves and nickels - don't ask!), so I assume that if I'm shorted a relatively small amount by the machine, it's because the rolls were short.

As others have said, the best way is to test the machine with a known amount; basically calibrate it. I'd do this in private before calling the teller's attention to it, in case you're wrong. If it is indeed definitely shorting you, then by all means call their attention to it, but tactfully if at all possible. Perhaps the easiest way to tell if you're getting shorted in dimes is to check when they open the machine and see if they're mixed in with the pennies - depending on the type of machine you're using, of course.

Bottom line, I wouldn't make an issue of it unless you're dead certain it's shorting you, and then only if the amount is worth potentially losing the dump bank.

OP
OP
F

FAL guy

Feb 5, 2012
OKC, OK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't said anything to them yet, but I think I'll politely ask them if they calibrate their machine often, and suggest it might need work. I've actually been going to two different branches and both have shorted me. $4.50 is nothing compared to some of you losing over $20. That is just crazy. I haven't dumped more than $500 yet. I wish they had a coinstar out in the lobby, but the don't, these are machines behind the counter.

Thanks for the input guys, you hve been a big help.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Be polite and curious and as long as they dont straight up hate your guts you should get some help.

OP
OP
F

FAL guy

Feb 5, 2012
OKC, OK
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be polite and curious and as long as they dont straight up hate your guts you should get some help.

I am new at this but I'm pretty sure from some of the looks one of the tellers has been giving me, she already hates my guts. I'll see if I can kill her with kindness. Doesn't that sound fun?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread