dump stream ideas

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about this whole dumping and picking up back concept. I was wondering why you would not pick up from a dump bank. It seems to me that if you are dumping at a bank that say processes coin returns with brink and you are picking up at a different bank chain or chains that uses brinks then are you not dumping into your own supply? I am not sure who TCF uses to process all the coins from their counters but when they go back to brinks or loomis or whoever they could wind up at your local Chase or BoA in those brinks boxes..

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Thanks

Doc C

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone is probably dumping at every bank just because you aren't does not mean 20 others are not.

I doubt you can find a bank that is supplied by a company that is not full of previously dumped halves.

On the other hand dimes nickels and pennies are minted in such quantities and use in such quantities that I would doubt your activities would have much impact on box. I do not take halves back to the same bank but I will and have on many occasion returned dimes and nickel rolls to the same bank be it a different branch. With the volume of those coins in circulation I will probably not see those coins again and if I do I doubt there would be more than 1 or 2 in a box.

Last edited:

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...... seems to me that if you are dumping at a bank that say processes coin returns with brink and you are picking up at a different bank chain or chains that uses brinks then are you not dumping into your own supply? ......

Am I wrong in my thinking?

I was pondering the same question myself recently. I'm sure that nearly every bank branch is being used by someone as their dump bank. The real issue isn't so much about getting your own dumps back, but more about etiquette and maintaining good relationships with the tellers, particularly at your supply bank. If you are dumping AND picking-up boxes of halves at the same branch, it just means that the tellers will associate you with a lot of extra manual labor, increasing the odds that one day you'll be cut-off.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes dumping / picking up from same system makes sense (not the same branch, obviously). BofA for example only takes sealed bags from customers. That's a good thing cuz it prevents sniping from the tellers. If they are rolled, the tellers can take the goodies out. I sometimes buy boxes from BofA in my area (even though they are my main dump bank). I know I probably get some of my own dumps back, but I have had some great boxes too - my numbers are actually as good or better than the Brinks boxes I get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread