So Unbelievable, it Must be Counterfeit - Steel 1944 Cent

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't posted my finds or my thoughts here in quite some time - all in protest. I just so strongly disagreed with the overall atmosphere and with how . . . never mind. Let's talk coin.

I found a 1944 steel cent in a bag from a new pick up bank - it was kicked to the far right by my Gen2 Frankensorter. I know that it is steel because it is STRONGLY attracted to a magnet (1944 Steel Cent - YouTube). My guess is that it is counterfeit - mostly because it's weight is 10% high compared to a 1943 steel.

I'm posting the find here, but not discussing it. I am actively discussing it at Realcent.org ? View topic - Found 1944 Steel Cent

HH

Attachments

• 1944 (Custom).jpg
    1944 (Custom).jpg
    182 KB · Views: 853
  • Obverse (Custom).jpg
    Obverse (Custom).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 814
  • Reverse (Custom).jpg
    Reverse (Custom).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 695
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I Really doubt that it is counterfeit who would counterfeit a penny if you're going to counterfeit anything which is wrong and I do not condone it most Counterfeiters will stay with $20,$50,$100 Anyways i put a few old wheat pennies in some CLR just to clean some green lime off just a quick dip i left one in clr for 2 weeks its bright but the cooler looks weird

You are ruining the value of the wheats.

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up on youtube how to turn copper pennies to brass, first step involves heating in sodium hydroxide and maybe just water (can't remember). Anyway, just the first step will turn any copper AND zinc penny and make it look like a steel cent. Chances are somebody is playing with you, but man oh man, I hope it's real, that would be amazing!

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Look up on youtube how to turn copper pennies to brass, first step involves heating in sodium hydroxide and maybe just water (can't remember). Anyway, just the first step will turn any copper AND zinc penny and make it look like a steel cent. Chances are somebody is playing with you, but man oh man, I hope it's real, that would be amazing!

The way this coin jumps to the magnet though, I believe it's metal composition is different from your average 1944 wheat cent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread