Pretty Good Results Hunting Nickels and Dimes...

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up $750 (three boxes) in dimes and $100 (one box) in nickels today from a good reliable bank. At this bank they always seem to have plenty of CWRs boxed up and ready to go for me. And today, every box was a winner!:headbang:

Box #1 on the dimes had three silvers (two Rosies 1964, 1954 and a Merc 1945), box #2 had two Rosies (1962 & 1963), and box #3 had one Rosie (1962). Also in box #3 of the dimes, I found three beautiful cameo, clad S proofs (1997, 1997, & 1982). Not sure why they were there—but not complaining!

The nickel box gave up a 1943P, and a buffalo nickel that looks to be 1921 (the date is pretty worn). One funny side note: In one of the nickel rolls I was shorted by the old cent trick. BUT, the trickster stuck a 1950s Wheatie in there as the slug so I wasn't too bummed! I also found another old Cincinnati Transit Fare token. I think that's my sixth one. It was in the first dime box. Pictures below! (On some of the pictures below I am experimenting with using a jeweler's loupe pressed up against my cell phone lens.)

Happy Hunting!!! :laughing7:

01.jpg 02.jpg
03.jpg 04.jpg
05.jpg 06.jpg

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. I've never run across cwr boxed up. It'salways amazing to pull a merc out of cwr. How can people not see them when they are rolling?

OP
OP
OtlFrutiger

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I've never run across cwr boxed up. It'salways amazing to pull a merc out of cwr. How can people not see them when they are rolling?

I know. It's crazy, right?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

People just don't care for old coins. In fact, some may think they are fake, and will roll them up to get 10 cents for them.

RocknRoll

Apr 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 8 dimes between 3 CWR cents yesterday......the person must have had very poor eyesight.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Mercs always add the icing on the cake! Good find.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Are the proofs you found frosted? they don't look it from teh picture, but you didn't give a close up of te proofs. Just checking to see if all proofs back then were frosted or not. Were these??

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Are the proofs you found frosted? they don't look it from teh picture, but you didn't give a close up of te proofs. Just checking to see if all proofs back then were frosted or not. Were these??

Proofs had a mirror finish, but were not frosted. This is how my 1969-S dime looks that I bought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread