Free money from a Dump

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I am turning in about $135 in halves yesterday to my credit unions machine... Of course its fills up/breaks mid way thru... First teller comes, empties 3 bags, fires it up...Still broke...keeps trying..still broke.. Brings manager over, she starts taking my halves out of the spinning thing and said you might get a little free money tonight because the sensor already counted when they get to this point... She had to do that several more times until a tooth pick popped out and unjammed the Half tube.. I ended up with a count of $194.50 when I redeposited..
To top it off, got a $10 Star note with my withdrawal. (I have been reading up on star notes and seem to have a slight premium over face)..

Upvote 0

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not too shabby! It usually happens the other way around, but if the CU didn't worry about it then good for you. HH

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always good to have the error in your favor to make up for all the miscounts, but I'd feel guilty about taking $ from my CU. It's member owned, it's not corporate and it only hurts ourselves in the long run. I have my mortgage with and paycheck sent to my CU and I don't want to cost them money.

I'm not saying shame on you, take it back, I'm just saying I'd feel guilty about it.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
discipline.gif
Shame on you jd750707.
killingme.gif

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to rain on your parade but I think honesty is the best policy:dontknow: And enough hits like that and i would bet the bank will get rid of the service all together:thumbsup:

OP
OP
jd750707

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I did not add, the manager told me I would be getting more money than I put in in the machine... I did not "rip" them off.. She did not ask me how much I put in the machine and wanted it back, she knew I would get more back and because it took 45 minutes of standing there I don't think she minded...

I am a very honest person and this was a mutual agreement at the time... But Im glad to see we have a good pool of people here to keep memebers in check..!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to rain on your parade but I think honesty is the best policy:dontknow: And enough hits like that and i would bet the bank will get rid of the service all together:thumbsup:
I know where you are coming from, but something similar happened with me and that same situation, thou it only gave me like 9 dollars and some change over my 50 dollar box of dimes, The teller told me that it was from the previous user, and really there was nothing she could do. The extra money would go right back to the back. I have also have had them while cleaning the machine, throw in all the coins that get bounced around out of the hopper

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am turning in about $135 in halves yesterday to my credit unions machine... Of course its fills up/breaks mid way thru... First teller comes, empties 3 bags, fires it up...Still broke...keeps trying..still broke.. Brings manager over, she starts taking my halves out of the spinning thing and said you might get a little free money tonight because the sensor already counted when they get to this point... She had to do that several more times until a tooth pick popped out and unjammed the Half tube.. I ended up with a count of $194.50 when I redeposited..
To top it off, got a $10 Star note with my withdrawal. (I have been reading up on star notes and seem to have a slight premium over face)..

It happens. Coin machines aren't perfect. Sometimes you gain, sometimes you lose, and hopefully in the end everything is about even. I will add this: since you chose to keep the ~$60, if/when in the future when you are shorted, you must eat the loss with no complaints whatsoever.

mira263

Greenie
Mar 15, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was cool of them!

I get shorted upwards of .30-70 cents every time I dump dimes. Only found 1 bank that is spot on every time. I try not to go there more than once a week though. Somehow always getting a penny or two in there no matter where I go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread