Upping the Ante

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe today marks the one month mark since I started coin roll hunting. I started with a lucky teller tray score. I quickly found a bank to order me a box of halves for the following week. Every week since then I have been slowly increasing the number of boxes I am ordering. Ordering isn't the concern since I have actually ordered from various branches all around the area and none have said no (except the one that took a little convincing). The thing that worries me is being able to dump all of this coin.

This week I searched 6 boxes of halves and the results were 3 40%'ers. I'm happy with that. It's a lot of work for a few pieces of silver, but nothing compares with the feeling of seeing silver in a roll you just opened.

Here are a few statistics about my half hunts:

With the exception of one good box, all of my half boxes have had 1 40 %'er or no silver at all. The one good box gave up 9 40%'ers

I haven't been keeping an exact log of my finds, but I know that I have searched 19 boxes in the last month.

In the last two weeks, I've searched 11 boxes and I ended up with 12 40%'ers. That's a little over one per box which I'm pretty happy with.

In the 19 boxes I have searched, I have still not found a 90% half. The only 90% Kennedy I have came from that first teller tray score.

My overall impression of the hobby is that it is not a way to get a lot of silver quickly and cheaply. It involves a lot of hard work, a lot of running around, a lot of dirty fingers, and a lot of awkward conversations when the tellers have to take apart the coin counters. I also have to say that I am thoroughly hooked and can't wait for school and work to calm down, so I can up my volume even more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should also add my totals for the first month(both teller trays and boxes):
40% halves: 33