Copper Cents or Silver Rounds?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Ok, so I've been selling my copper cents on ebay and make about $15 for every $50 lot I sell or $30-$35 for every $100 lot I sell. I've been thinking with this excess cash should I...

1) Spend the money on leisure things?
2) Spend the money on silver 1oz rounds?
3) Use the money to save some copper cents of my own?
4) Save the money to build my bankroll so I can search more dimes for silver and order boxes (Which, is a good idea, but I don't really like searching dimes all that much?)
5) Any other ideas?

I'm so indecisive, idk, I just want a plan of what to do with my $. ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I guess really the question is, "What is the best long term investment?" And I mean loooooooong term. 30-40 years
I could even buy grams of gold I guess or collectible coins! :D

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do what you feel is the right thing to do, you can buy silver today and next month silver can remain the same, drop $10 or gain $10... you just don't know. There's no true answer to this, you're young, I would definitely invest in PM's, and perhaps some stocks as well.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you asking us? We are nutty nut balls. Roll it into your CRH budget. Wish I could convince my wife it was a good idea for me to walk around with our savings and use it all to CRH... See, nuts. Told ya.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I've been selling my copper cents on ebay and make about $15 for every $50 lot I sell or $30-$35 for every $100 lot I sell. I've been thinking with this excess cash should I...

1) Spend the money on leisure things?
2) Spend the money on silver 1oz rounds?
3) Use the money to save some copper cents of my own?
4) Save the money to build my bankroll so I can search more dimes for silver and order boxes (Which, is a good idea, but I don't really like searching dimes all that much?)
5) Any other ideas?

I'm so indecisive, idk, I just want a plan of what to do with my $. ???

CC, don't spend the money on leisure things unless it's a metal detector. I think you should put some in bullion and the rest in your bankroll. If you buy gold you need to get the larger coins so the premium you pay is a smaller %. If you don't have enough cash for gold try junk silver coins. 1964 halves are good because they usually don't have much wear. I avoid heavily worn junk silver. ASE's are awesome but the premium can be steep.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long bonds. AKA 30 year treasury for basically zero risk unless there's a nuclear war, GCM3 otherwise.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Roll it into your CRH budget to look for silver. That way if you're looking for dimes you'll pay $0.10 for $2 dollars worth of silver. Much better than paying $30+ an ounce for buying silver rounds. Buying cheap and selling high - that makes for the wisest investment of your time and money.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... Wish I could convince my wife it was a good idea for me to walk around with our savings and use it all to CRH... See, nuts. Told ya.

Not so nuts if you knew how to explain it to her.

I don't pretend to know how much savings you have, or what your monthly budget is, so my numbers are purely random. After reading this you will understand my theory, and then you can apply your own numbers when you speak to your wife.

Using $12,000 as the number of your savings account, and $4,000 as the number for your monthly expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities, car payment/ins., etc....) let's view this chart I made. It's like a stop light (stop, caution, go)

MoneyChart_zps5ed14745.jpg

I broke up the $12,000 savings into 3 sections.

The red is the top layer that gets used monthly and replenished by your paycheck(s). This is the most active, and never gets touched other then expenses.

The yellow is the middle layer, and the cushion, should any emergencies arise (water heater, leaky roof, etc...). It is an exact full increment of the red so that it could also cover a full month of the budget if need be.

The green is the bottom layer, and in normal conditions is never called to action, so that's where you would draw your additional hunting money from.

Once that money is out of the bank and into your hunting funds, the good part is that if through unforeseen circumstances red and yellow are both end up in play and things are looking tight, the green is no further that your pocket and ready to go back into the original mix to save the day

To my knowledge right now Capital One is offering a strong interest rate which works out to about 1/10th of 1% ($1 per $1,000 in the bank every month), so the $4,000 (green area) that you would be removing from the savings would only be costing you $4 per month which is currently less that a 40% half dollar.

If $4,000 extra hunting money can't make you one 40% half dollar in a month, then maybe you should not be hunting your area anyway.

Disclaimer: If you get robbed, or somehow lose the $4,000 somewhere along the way, then everything I wrote no longer applies.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digesting a common clad said:
Long bonds. AKA 30 year treasury for basically zero risk unless there's a nuclear war, GCM3 otherwise.

You must be a bond pusher, because no one in their right mind would invest a large % of their $ in bonds unless they are very close to retirement. A 30 tear tbill will not even beat inflation. Mutual funds are the only way to go long term. Even if the stock market crashes twice in the next 30 years you will still come out way ahead of tbills. As for risk, I trust big US corporations to be profitable way more than I do the US Govt, especially if this country keeps electing idiots like Obama. Your 30 yr tbill could very well be worth absolutely nothing when the govt goes bankrupt.

You should take all your CRHing gains and build your bankroll. Buy CWRs of halves & dimes, until you get enough silver to cash in and start searching boxes of halves. I wouldn't buy silver bullion - why buy when you can find it for face value?? Plus, you might buy it and have the price go down. If you find it for face you don't risk $.

What is your end goal? To stockpile silver? To get gold? You can trade silver for gold when you get enough. Vacation? Nicer coins? Focus on your bankroll first, then reap the rewards down the road.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd save up for a water detector, and use it for gold mining. That's where it's at.
Silver isn't the greatest investment, although I'm stacking a lot but not for investment purposes.
To me, you sound like you can make an intelligent decision, good luck.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funniest post I have seen in awhile.

30 year treasuries are yielding approx 3%. When yields go up to 4-5% in the next few years, see what that bond is worth then. But don't worry, you get 30 years of 3% yield - 30 years of some of the lowest yields in the ENTIRE HISTORY of treasury bonds.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I keep a spreadsheet of any additional income I receive, be it from working overtime, gambling, Ebay sales, found silver, or other gains.

10% goes to charity, my choice. Kind of fun, actually.
10% goes to purchasing silver
20% goes into LONG term retirement (in my case, my Roth IRA)
20% goes towards family stuff - gifts, gourmet food, chocolates for my sweetie, whatever.
10% goes into my gambling fund - was able to play in a World Series of Poker circuit event last year!
30% goes towards personal stuff I want, such as a metal detector, fishing gear, non-silver coins for my collection, or saving for a vacation or other large expense.

A few years ago the ratios were different, with no gambling and less personal, and a debt-payment category. Fortunately I am now out of debt (other than the mortgage), and can concentrate on other things. The 10% for charity I have always maintained, at least since I started keeping track, and I find it to be one of the most personally fulfilling expenditures.

Some nice things about this system:
  • I keep good records of how much I've made. right now my spreadsheet goes back to 2011.
  • The records let you know where the money went. Way too easy to have a windfall and blow it all, or more likely let it trickle away on minor purchases. This way I can account for every penny if I so wish, which really helps come tax time.
  • It works no matter how much I take in. Even with say, $20, I can donate a couple bucks (or an extra couple), buy a silver dime, or just save it all in each category until I have enough for a decent size purchase.
  • I actually look forward to spending money now, at least from this source.
  • It instills discipline to save up for a big expense, while keeping priorities straight.
  • You have the option of keeping each category physically in cash, say in envelopes, or putting it all in the bank and keeping track of each category, paying it out periodically each time a goal is reached. Either way is equally effective, just depends on what works for you.

No matter what you do with it, good luck with your extra cash!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I keep a spreadsheet of any additional income I receive, be it from working overtime, gambling, Ebay sales, found silver, or other gains.

10% goes to charity, my choice. Kind of fun, actually.
10% goes to purchasing silver
20% goes into LONG term retirement (in my case, my Roth IRA)
20% goes towards family stuff - gifts, gourmet food, chocolates for my sweetie, whatever.
10% goes into my gambling fund - was able to play in a World Series of Poker circuit event last year!
30% goes towards personal stuff I want, such as a metal detector, fishing gear, non-silver coins for my collection, or saving for a vacation or other large expense.

A few years ago the ratios were different, with no gambling and less personal, and a debt-payment category. Fortunately I am now out of debt (other than the mortgage), and can concentrate on other things. The 10% for charity I have always maintained, at least since I started keeping track, and I find it to be one of the most personally fulfilling expenditures.

Some nice things about this system:
  • I keep good records of how much I've made. right now my spreadsheet goes back to 2011.
  • The records let you know where the money went. Way too easy to have a windfall and blow it all, or more likely let it trickle away on minor purchases. This way I can account for every penny if I so wish, which really helps come tax time.
  • It works no matter how much I take in. Even with say, $20, I can donate a couple bucks (or an extra 3 bucks), buy a silver dime, or just save it all in each category until I have enough for a decent size purchase.
  • I actually look forward to spending money now, at least from this source.
  • It instills discipline to save for what you want, while keeping your priorities straight.

Either way, good luck with your extra cash!

Great post! This is what I've been looking for! Thanks, because I want to save, while maybe making an AU-MS Indian head cent collection. And I know what you mean by the donating to charity! I volunteer at my local soup kitchen every other Sunday because it so personally rewarding when people come up to you and say "Thank you so much! It helps more than you know!" This is like perfect! Thanks again!

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I think I'm going to go:

30% Bankroll Building
10% Charity
30% Investment long term. I'll save it up until I have $500 and maybe invest in an IRA?
30% Leisure items for myself. This includes if I want to buy silver bullion.

We'll see how this works out!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I think I'm going to go:

30% Bankroll Building
10% Charity
30% Investment long term. I'll save it up until I have $500 and maybe invest in an IRA?
30% Leisure items for myself. This includes if I want to buy silver bullion.

We'll see how this works out!

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread