First silvers, two big mistakes and semi-helpful sniping teller???

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
So I did some CRH'ing on the 6 hour drive today to visit family for the holiday. Stopped at a bank and asked for halves. They said "yeah, we have a guy a get's them from Brinks and then brings them in here, we have a bunch, how many would you like?" Damn... I'm eating dumps here. "I'll take $40 worth" She goes and gets what looks like 4 CWR's out of the safe and I thank her and walk out to the car. I sit down and crack one end open and there's a '67 staring at me. I dump the roll out and see three more 40%ers. Without opening the other 3 rolls I head back into the bank laughing about the "always buy them all" commandment I had broken and kindly tell the same teller I'll take the rest of them as well. She says they have $1,140 more, I say great, thanks and this time I take them all.

In total there are two boxes and 14 loose rolls and the 4 original rolls. The boxes where obviously searched and rerolled as were 3 of the loose rolls. The other 11 loose rolls have the same wrappers as the 4 original ones.

I go to the rewrapped rolls first and found nothing. So I stop to dump them and head to a bank. I get back to the machine and am chatting it up with the teller when I look at the 4 bags on the floor next to the machine, 2 quarter bags, a nickel bag and a penny bag. The penny bag is open and has 2 steel cents sitting on the top of the pile. I ask the teller "you mind if I look through a couple of those pennies?" She says no problem. I should have played it cool and just tried to the buy the bag, but instead I got stupid and pointed out the wheats - I'm still learning. In the first handful I pull ~20 wheat's out. Next handful about the same. The teller says "great, I collect those" I hand her the wheats and ask her (too late now idiot) if I can buy the bag. She says no, she collects coins and is going to sift through the whole bag (and the others to look for silver). She gives me 15 of the wheats for pointing it out which I appreciated. I'd guess there was at least a couple of hundreds wheats in the bag, maybe more. The handfuls where probably 75% copper or greater.

So before I get back to the 15 half rolls, keep in mind I haven't found a silver half in over twenty years and have found 2 40%'ers total in my life.

The 15 rolls had 7 skunk rolls and 8 with silver. The 8 good rolls contained -

67 (ender), 67, 68, 67
64 (ender), 65, 67, 64, 64
67, 66, 67, 67
69 (ender), 66, 64, 64, 65, 67
68, 68, 67, 67, 68, 68, 65
69, 67, 67, 67, 68, 67, 69
67, 68
65, 69

Total
5 - 64's
32 - 40%ers
15 wheat's (oldest '39, two nice steel cents)

Combine that with the '92 Olympic commemorative half from yesterday making a total of 37 silver and 53 keepers and I'd say I'm feeling great.

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.. That is certainly a great haul..

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Nice finds Twitch!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya on the only buying $40 worth. Yeah yeah yeah "always buy all of them" When a bank says "we have $2,000 worth, they were all searched, wrappers reused, and brough in by the same guy" I have also walked away....its hard to make that time/money investment when 99.8% of the time it is in deed a dump.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Always buy 'em all. I've been searching for years, and all my solid silver roll(s) were found along with the big dumps.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I hear ya on the only buying $40 worth. Yeah yeah yeah "always buy all of them" When a bank says "we have $2,000 worth, they were all searched, wrappers reused, and brough in by the same guy" I have also walked away....its hard to make that time/money investment when 99.8% of the time it is in deed a dump.

This indeed is my exception to the rule.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always be nice and courteous but never trust a teller. Especially when it comes to actually knowing anything about the coins they hand out, besides what denomination it is.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have a couple of tellers give me silver for face. I bring them doughnuts. Live and learn on the new tellers you meet.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
when i told i teller i keep the quarters and dimes with a white rim - the teller next to her told her it was silver and not to save them for me. So i told her i would pay her 2.5$ per quarter and 1$ per dimes - she agreed

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone. Was there any chance I'd be able to buy the cents bag or was getting 15 free ones off the top my best possible outcome?

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D1MES_101 said:
when i told i teller i keep the quarters and dimes with a white rim - the teller next to her told her it was silver and not to save them for me. So i told her i would pay her 2.5$ per quarter and 1$ per dimes - she agreed

What a &@$:$. That's why I stick to the small towns. They tellers are always really sweet. I will admit that I have a little lie I have to break out every now and then. Just tell them it's for my Grandpa. I don't know, that might be terrible of me but it never fails. HH everyone.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so far no bank here will let me buy bags, they say it goes back to a third party. I still ask whenever I go in though.

heck of a score there dude congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread