so far this year in Virginia

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found absolutely nothing hunting rolls. Albeit Ive only done halves, and I havent done a ton, but still. Ive hit 2 dozen banks at least. The irony is that I have recieved a buffalo nickel, a 1979 proof dime, and several wheat cents in my change from lunch or the store. Zero intentional finds and a half dozen or so unintentional ones ha.

any virginians had any luck?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man, it's dry out there, I just did a skunk half dollar box too...

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Very limited success here. Have yet to find a single silver in a box of halves. Most all CWR's are somebodies rewraps (maybe yours? - edge cut and re-taped or folded and taped) including one bank that had $3,300 in halves. I took a few but they were all cut and retaped so I chickened out. The teller trays have been slim. Someone else is getting it all, not me. Going to try to up the volume a bit this week, we'll see how it goes.

But hey, I'm getting better at dumping. Went to a dump bank this morning and as soon as i walked in the door the teller headed for the coin counter....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I picked up ~30 IKE's during the week. I also passed some more (took $10) IKE's this weekend. Based on some of the last threads I guess I'll head back and get them. I'm not going to collect the clad but if I can find an ASE, older silver or a 40% IKE. Once picked up I'll have 100 or so IKE's and will try to do something semi-productive with them.

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it aint me, ive gotten a couple hundred worth of sliced and taped ones myself. someones lazy. some have been customer rolled, and some bank rolled. all sliced with a razor. I see them coming up to me with them and I just want to say no thanks, but I take them anyway.

mine have 2 sharpie X's on the roll wrapper if I have been through them. and my dump is the short pump wells fargo in the REI and whole foods shopping center near I64, so avoid that place haha.

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of my wells fargos said that someone comes to the bank behind insbrook off cox road I think, once a week, and picks up a box, but they never get them back, so I imagine hes dumping all over the place and doesnt feel like rewrapping, so he is slicing. oh well....

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might switch up to dimes and cents....

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might switch up to dimes and cents....

Good idea. Better chance of finding something. Nickels can produce pretty well sometimes also.

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont hunt nickels at all, yet I still get a bunch of 40s and 50s in my change daily and a buffalo once in a blue moon. I feel I would have a bucket full of nickels taking up space if I started hunting them religiously.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont hunt nickels at all, yet I still get a bunch of 40s and 50s in my change daily and a buffalo once in a blue moon. I feel I would have a bucket full of nickels taking up space if I started hunting them religiously.

If they produce so much, buy them. I would rather have too many collectable coins than too little.

OP
OP
R

RVA

Mar 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when the local shops and many online value determiners value them at face value, I personally dont see the point, or consider them collectable.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
when the local shops and many online value determiners value them at face value, I personally dont see the point, or consider them collectable.

You can sell them on eBay for a premium occasionally. Also, this means a collection might have been dumped, so there could be a lot of war nicks too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread