Captains Log: The White Whale is Dead (Ikes)

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain's Log: The White Whale is Dead (Ikes)

About 3 weeks ago I made a post about how I finally got a bank to order me some Ikes. Unfortunately, this first attempt failed and the blasted golden dollars arrived. The bank apologized and said they would make every effort to get a bag of Eisenhowers. All hope appeared lost.... that is until today! Last Monday the bank called me and said they spoke with the coin service and are putting in the request again, but this is what they did last time so hope was not rekindled. They told me to come by and pick them up on Wendsday (today). I was on my way over to the bank just like last time, when I received a phone call. The vault teller informed me that yes, the Ikes did indeed arrive! I had to see it to believe it (incredulous I know), but lo and behold I arrived to the following:

This is my first time searching Ikes at this volume. Keepers as I understand it are Mint Mark S (40%) and silver dollars (obviously). There are different Types as well, are these worth hunting down? Any tips? I'll let you know what I find (fingers crossed). About to begin!

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    728.3 KB · Views: 192
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    746.6 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No tips here ive never been lucky enough to get a bag of dollar coins, if i had to guess id just grab a handful, align them, then rim check.

Good luck, excited to see what you get

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would keep an eye out for the S mint mark ones SOME of those can be silver, NOT all. Sound testing will have to verify. The only ones that can be silver are 1971-S, 1972-S, 1973-S, 1974-S, and 1976-S (any can be 40% silver). 1971-S and 1972-S will for sure be silver because they were not released in proof sets.

I would keep the proof ones and any 1973 (1973 Ikes are NIFCs).

Also, 1972 Type IIs, and any coin that looks uncirculated can be flipped for profit (or kept, whatever your endgame is).

Hope this helps somewhat.

- DS

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Boris that will definitely help!

OP
OP
R

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Preliminary report: Nothing but Ikes. I'll need to go through them looking for S mint marks, I pulled aside ones that looked uncirculated. There were a number that had a rainbow effect, I pulled those out also.

Bummer that there weren't any Peace or Morgans, but landing a bag to begin with was quite a thrill, so I'm not terribly disappointed

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what I would make if I had that bag of Ikes, people buy 'em up here for around face all the time, I can't keep them in stock!

OP
OP
R

Rocket7

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finished going through the bag, no S Mint marks and not much else of note... I swapped 24 out with some I thought looked special, different coloring and shinyness (if that's a word). I called around to some local coin shops and one offered 1.05 for each one. I didn't want to take the time to sell them on eBay for more... So I just took them over there and made a quick $50... Probably get 2 oz of silver with the excess cash... So not a complete skunk! And I have a bank that will order me a bag a month, so I feel pretty lucky! Also feels good to finish the hunt after 6 months of pestering banks! HH!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, quick profit on a skunk bag without annoying the dump bank... that's a win-win!
Well I finished going through the bag, no S Mint marks and not much else of note... I swapped 24 out with some I thought looked special, different coloring and shinyness (if that's a word). I called around to some local coin shops and one offered 1.05 for each one. I didn't want to take the time to sell them on eBay for more... So I just took them over there and made a quick $50... Probably get 2 oz of silver with the excess cash... So not a complete skunk! And I have a bank that will order me a bag a month, so I feel pretty lucky! Also feels good to finish the hunt after 6 months of pestering banks! HH!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

now that's what I call turning a lemon into an orange.....or however that saying goes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions