Anybody Ever Been Robbed While CRHing?

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, I hope the answer is "no." But, I know this has to be a concern amongst the group. I was wondering if it's ever happened to anyone on here. And if so, what would you do differently to prevent it in the future? Also, do you think any kind of insurance would cover your hunting money? Or, would we just be flat out of luck. I'm not a huge high-roller like some on this site, and if I'm suddenly out my hunting money it would be a huge setback. (One thing I do have in my favor though is that I'm 6'5" and about 245lbs. Not sure that would matter much at gunpoint though.) I have a CCW and carry when I go metal detecting, but as you are all aware, that is not legally possible when going in and out of banks. I always try to vary the times of my pickups, any other ideas?

Sorry to be so grim, but it is a concern.

Upvote 0

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
The key word in canceled carry is canceled. No one should ever, ever, EVER, know unless you are in "Fear for your life or fear of extreme bodily harm" I am not saying you should ever violet any laws. But it seams where you are most likely to need IT is in a gun free zone.

Please don't leave your guns in cars. Perfect place to have them stolen from, and, we just had a case of two little people left in a car. The 3 year old found the gun, and only grazed the 18 month old. Thank God.

Deep cover for your gun and money is the best bet, along with being aware of what is going on around you.

HH

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Otl, I have not, but it is funny that you ask this, I was really wondering about it today. I dumped 16 boxes today at many stops and had to carry that cash on me (not so worried about getting robbed with the coins them selves, too heavy to steal) and that worried me a little bit. I do carry and have a CCP, I do carry in the bank ( once you have carried for sometime it becomes 2nd nature, no one knows you have it, you just have to get past that "EVERYBODY KNOWS I HAVE A GUN ON ME" stage, it's no big deal), this is just me and my decision, if I have that much cash on me coming out, I don't want to wait till I get to the vehicle to secure my weapon, again, nobody knows you have it on you, you just have to realize that, and it's no big deal. Just some food for thought. HH, Maverick.

I do exactly the same Mav. You tend to have a lot of attention drawn to you when you are packing out multiple boxes that have $500 written on the side. Fortunately I've never been held up entering or leaving a bank but I did have someone attempt to rob me at a gas station one time. It was right after Hurricane Katrina and there was an influx of refugees in my area. Stopped at a gas station and was getting back into my truck when he ran up behind me with a knife. The guy didn't see my Glock 23 on my side. Well when I turned around with it pulled and pointed at him I swear he could have won the Olympic 100 meter dash!

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that SUCKS

What sucks almost as bad as losing all that money was the replies he received from his fellow CRHing 'friends'. There's no doubt he could have made better decisions. I'm pretty sure he was aware of that before posting. Some people love to use hindsight to belittle people. The OP and anyone reading the OP knows what he did incorrectly. He was clearly venting and asking for a little support from his community. Instead, he was insulted and reminded of his ignorance. (((sad)))

Count Skrule

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carried 1k in coin around with me for a week before dumping, concealed, with my truck in view or safe area. I imagined getting into a wreck while driving a few times. My vehicle exploding with coins. I guess you would have to roll to get em out, and I bet that would hurt quite a bit.

thing

Aug 8, 2009
What sucks almost as bad as losing all that money was the replies he received from his fellow CRHing 'friends'. There's no doubt he could have made better decisions. I'm pretty sure he was aware of that before posting. Some people love to use hindsight to belittle people. The OP and anyone reading the OP knows what he did incorrectly. He was clearly venting and asking for a little support from his community. Instead, he was insulted and reminded of his ignorance. (((sad)))

This is suppose to be a hobby. When some one has their model plane destroyed do you tell them good now I have a better chance of winning? I would bet alot of silver that the people who "liked" the fact that i got robbed are those who abuse the system and fight with tellers and argue with managers if a teller isn't willing to give up a silver coin in their tray. While talking to a black jack dealer the other day he said that alot of gamblers are angry, aggressive, and full of themselves. I would draw a line between those people and the people who LIKED that they should start ordering extra boxes to take advantage of what happened.

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agree. When someone's made a horrible mistake that caused them major pain and loss, I can't figure out why any sane, decent person with a soul would feel the need to rub salt in the wound by saying something obvious and completely unhelpful that amount to "you were stupid to make that mistake."

I imagine these people going to an intensive care department, finding someone who has 3rd degree burns on 95% of his body, and saying "well, you shouldn't have played with matches."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread