Unbelievable

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I just got a call from my dump bank. They said Brinks is going to debit my account, because there were discrepancies in the coinlok bags of halves I deposited last week. Specifically, I deposited 2 bags of halves - $500 each. The bank shipped them to Brinks, Brinks counted them, and I got credited $500 per bag. Now Brinks says that one bag was over by $2.46, and one bag was short $7.30.

I know errors are going to be made when machines are counting coins, but how do you explain being off by an odd amount when the only coins in the bags were halves??? Fortunately, I'm on good terms with the tellers at the bank, and the branch manager knows that there were only halves in the bags. Unfortunately, they have stated in the past that disputes with Brinks could not be challenged by the bank, which is why I don't send nickels or dimes to be counted anymore...

My bank's branch manager is going to try to find a Brink's manager that has some common sense, but I'm not holding my breath. Shortages are expected in this hobby, and I'm not complaining about the money, but the sheer lack of professionalism and accountability is staggering!

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 dollars - take it on the chin.

500 dollars - make a phone call.

5 dollars just about my threshold anyways. The odd numbers should be a sign, correct. The counters at brinks most likely were clogged with smaller denomination coins, but we all know that.

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
I would still complain. Even though its only $5. It's the fact that it was only half dollars so if it was short it would only be off in 50 cent quantities not odd quantities. This would be the only way I would complain. If it was any other denomination id let it go.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just look at it as a convenience fee and move on. If it happened every time then I would question what is happening but it appears to be a one time thing.
Just roll with it and go on with life I guess because you are not getting it back....

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't make a fuss. Complaining gets pick up banks shut off, dump banks implement large coin deposit fees and all sorts of other negatives put into place.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, just let it go. It isn't worth the possibility of losing a dump bank or making the banks react by shutting off the supply. Remember, banks aren't here to give us all the coin we want.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . one bag was short $7.30
If it were short $6.30, that would imply that exactly 14 halves were counted as nickels.

As it is, there are some "believable" possibilities for that specific shortage:
-either- 4 counted as quarter, 14 as nickel
-or- 13 counted as quarter, 9 as nickel
-or- 22 counted as quarter, 4 as nickel
+ a number of other scenarios involving counting as dollars, quarters, nickels

I call them believable combinations because a half is remotely likely to count as one of those coins (but hardly likely to count as a dime or a cent).

. . . one bag was over by $2.46
This result is less obvious. It implies that either there were some errant coins in the hopper when the bag was audited, or at least one half counted as a cent (and a number of them counted as dollars, quarters, nickels).

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a call from my dump bank. They said Brinks is going to debit my account, because there were discrepancies in the coinlok bags of halves I deposited last week. Specifically, I deposited 2 bags of halves - $500 each. The bank shipped them to Brinks, Brinks counted them, and I got credited $500 per bag. Now Brinks says that one bag was over by $2.46, and one bag was short $7.30.

I know errors are going to be made when machines are counting coins, but how do you explain being off by an odd amount when the only coins in the bags were halves??? Fortunately, I'm on good terms with the tellers at the bank, and the branch manager knows that there were only halves in the bags. Unfortunately, they have stated in the past that disputes with Brinks could not be challenged by the bank, which is why I don't send nickels or dimes to be counted anymore...

My bank's branch manager is going to try to find a Brink's manager that has some common sense, but I'm not holding my breath. Shortages are expected in this hobby, and I'm not complaining about the money, but the sheer lack of professionalism and accountability is staggering!

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Every courier service may be different, but the Loomis delivery guy I talked to (and have been told the same by a branch manager of a bank) said that they do not count the coins in the bags. They weigh them. So I'll guess that the reason Brinks came up with the odd amounts is that - based on the weight of the bag - your halves were off by that dollar amount. $7.30 is 1.46% of $500. So I'm guessing that your bag fell 1.46% short of their "expected" weight range for a $500 bag of halves.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Every courier service may be different, but the Loomis delivery guy I talked to (and have been told the same by a branch manager of a bank) said that they do not count the coins in the bags. They weigh them. So I'll guess that the reason Brinks came up with the odd amounts is that - based on the weight of the bag - your halves were off by that dollar amount. $7.30 is 1.46% of $500. So I'm guessing that your bag fell 1.46% short of their "expected" weight range for a $500 bag of halves.

I may have to start putting rocks in the bag...

jamesg13

Jan 7, 2013
The Outskirts
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of the brinks rolls we have been encountering lately have been short, even had a bank manager say the same thing? the plot thickens............

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

There were probably some more worn coins in that bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread